• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

telephone harassment and threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucio22

What is the name of your state? TN

I feel kind of strange posting this in this particular forum, but I can't seem to locate a better one.

My girlfriend and I separated several months ago. We have a baby and have gone through court and had custody arrangements made and all seemed fine, after a long and bitter battle.

Last night I went home with a female co-worker (Amber) to watch a movie. She lives with her mother, who is a school teacher, and her brother. Around 1am, before the movie ended, my ex g/f called - she had apparently been following us and knew I was there. She called my cell phone and started screaming at me to stay away from Amber. I calmly told her not to call me like that and I hung up the phone. She called back and left a voicemail saying "Keep that b**** away from my baby or I'll make you regret it". The baby wasn't even with me, she had the baby with her. It's not my turn with custody. She then called Amber and left a similar voicemail threat on her cell phone. She also text messaged threats to my cell phone. Amber's mother was so frightened that my ex was going to do something that they asked me to stay the night and sleep on the couch.

I am concerned for my safety, Amber's safety, but most of all for my baby's safety. My ex has a drug problem and was ordered to go to drug and alcohol counseling, but has not yet done so. She also has a history of aggressive behavior, which is one of the reasons we parted.

I think I should report this to the police, but wonder if I have a leg to stand on. I saved the voicemail and text messages, as did Amber. Will this count as harassment? Would her statement count as a viable threat, even though she didn't specify what she was going to do other than "make you regret it" ? Can I have her charged, and what would the punishment be? I don't necessarily want to punish her just to punish her, but I think she needs a serious wake-up call before she puts our child at further risk.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File a report. Even if it doesn't go anywhere there would still be a record that such threats occurred which could help at a later date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">