• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Rights After Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TNWifey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee I live with my boyfriend of 5 years. Our home is in his name only due to TN laws...you can't not own residential property together if not married. I pay half of all bills including the mortgage. On Friday he assaulted me and broke my arm. He was arrested and held for 12 hours, at which time he bonded out. He was advised as part of bond, he may have no contact with me and cannot return to the property. We are due in court on Tuesday. I am filing a restraing order..but not sure if that means I will have to leave or him. I got the impression from the sherriff deputy that he will have to stay away and file a 30 day notice of eviction which would start the first of the month after the filing.. so if he files tomorrow.. the 30 days would start May 1 and I would have to be out by June 1. What I want to know is what my rights are as a tenant?? How will the restraining order affect me as far as my ability to stay in the home?? I give him my paychecks in cash for the bills, I get no receipts. These bills include all utilities and the car payment and mortgage. And I use my child support for personal items. We also share the food expense and household goods are split 50/50. Can he turn off utilities?? I work from home.. so can he disconnect internet?? Which would prevent me from working. Can he return home if there is a restraining order.. will I have to leave?? What are my options here?? I have no money until my next payday and that certainly isn't enough for the car payment and to relocate.

outhouse

my ex who filed a bogus TRO on me was out of the house in about a month despite the RO because it was a previous rental and i was the only one on the paperwork.

ohiogal is rite

my ex pulled up a moving van 6 months ago and cleaned the house out of everything including pre marital assets and assets bought after the legal separation that i have the reciepts for. [i still have failed to get anything back]

not giving you any hints that property removed without him having reciepts would be hard to prove but i hate women beating men as there the real ones responsible for having the civil laws so biased and screwed up towards men in the first place

outhouse

hate is a strong emotion for someone posting there thoughts, you should up your meds.

OG doesnt need you backing her she,s a big girl. and in no way did try and insult OG.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">