• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worriedmomma21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina.

My mother-in-law has been having bipolar tendencies since December, and feels that she has no problem. Her husband tried to have her committed in December when she was acting suicidal, but her sister lied, saying that her husband and son were liars all because it was the holiday season. Now she is threatening to get pay back on everybody. She is threatening my husband's livelihood, which if she lies successfully, he could face jail time. I feel extremely helpless and don't know if there I can do. I have two young children and am a stay at home mom, I rely on my husband. I don't know how I could raise my boys without him. Any advice would be appreciated, I am not sure if a restraining order would solve my problem.

single317dad

Cease all contact with the party in question. Inform them that you are not interested in their drama, and request that they do not contact you any further. I wouldn't worry about a protective order until you've at least done that. A protective order will not stop her from making claims, real or imaginary, against your husband. In fact, unless the threat of "payback" involved a physical threat, it would be a stretch for a judge to grant a TRO anyway based on what I've read so far.

Unless a mental health professional diagnoses her as bipolar, that's a baseless argument.

As long as your husband isn't doing anything that would warrant his conviction and subsequent jail time, I wouldn't worry too much about her claims. We have a pretty decent system in this country for sifting out false claims and charges. Not to say it is perfect, but it's good.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">