• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TPO hearing/domestic abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnny4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

I have a tpo hearing tomorrow for domestic abuse charges that were pressed against me. My girlfriend pressed them on me because she was mad, not because I did anything wrong. I have text messages where she admitted she was lying, also. I was wondering what happens at a tpo hearing and if the charges can be dropped there? And also, what happens if you neither person shows up?

commentator

Best thing you can do is show up for the hearing, and admit to anything you might possibly have done that might possibly have produced the impression that you needed to be charged with domestic abuse. Be contrite, be willing to attend counseling or classes if required. Showing the court a text message by your girlfriend "admitting" she was lying is not going to present well. And if neither you or she shows up, you'll get a warrant out on you, regardless. She just might get one on her too. Someone figured out that it's not too hard for an abusive spouse to control the future actions of the person who has accused them, to persuade them to drop the charges, get up and swear they were lying, that they made it all up, were having hallucinations, whatever. That's why the court, not the victim, pushes the action forward in these cases.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is this a civil protective order, or a criminal temp protective order?

johnny4

Is this a civil protective order, or a criminal temp protective order?
I am not sure. So, I shouldn't show text messages? Or what, she says she is going to tell them the court the truth which is that she pressed the charges because she was mad that I brought a friend over. Yes, that is the truth. She had bite marks from where we were messing around and that is what I told the police because its the truth and she just used it to press the charges. Can charges get dropped a tpo hearing? And should I use the text messages?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I see - refer to Commentator's post above. This appears to be a criminal matter.

johnny4

Bite marks? From messing around?

And these were documented?
Yes, but the officer told her that there was no way that they happened on the day that she said they did. He also told her there was a lack of evidence but still charges were pressed against me. I told him that they were from messing around, also.

johnny4

The question was answered. It is never wise to ignore legal matters.
So, I shouldn't use the text messages? And what happens if she admits she was lying and also I was wondering if charges can be dropped at a tpo hearing.

Proserpina

Yes, but the officer told her that there was no way that they happened on the day that she said they did. He also told her there was a lack of evidence but still charges were pressed against me. I told him that they were from messing around, also.

I doubt the officer was actually qualified to make such an assessment, but okay. You need to attend the hearing. Not attending - even if SHE has no intention of turning up - is NOT in your best interest.

johnny4

I doubt the officer was actually qualified to make such an assessment, but okay. You need to attend the hearing. Not attending - even if SHE has no intention of turning up - is NOT in your best interest.
Okay, well that's what he said. My main questions that I need answered are:

1. Why shouldn't I use the text messages?
2. Can charges get dropped at a tpo hearing?
3. What if she admits she was lying?
4. What if I show up and she doesn't?

Proserpina

Okay, well that's what he said. My main questions that I need answered are:

1. Why shouldn't I use the text messages?
2. Can charges get dropped at a tpo hearing?
3. What if she admits she was lying?
4. What if I show up and she doesn't?

1. Because a) they might not be admissible, and b) even if they are, can you prove SHE actually sent them? It wasn't you messing around with her phone? She's not being coerced, or showing signs of a typical victim of abuse?

2. You still haven't answered whether or not this is a criminal or civil TPO.

3. The court expects her to do that

4. The court sort of expects that, too.

Honestly - just turn up and plead your side of the story.

johnny4

1. Because a) they might not be admissible, and b) even if they are, can you prove SHE actually sent them? It wasn't you messing around with her phone? She's not being coerced, or showing signs of a typical victim of abuse?

2. You still haven't answered whether or not this is a criminal or civil TPO.

3. The court expects her to do that

4. The court sort of expects that, too.

Honestly - just turn up and plead your side of the story.
Let's just say its criminal. This is total bs because I really didn't do a thing at all and it makes me seem like a woman beater, which I am not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">