• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tresspassing question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rich Adelson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ct.
I have an ex-girfriend that I had a child with and over the years in situations that were necessary i.e. after school pick-ups, school vacation days that I worked....she would drop of child (13 years old). It has come to my attention that she has been coming in house and now is taking things out of house. I now want to put an end to this by requesting to turn over keys and no longer enter my house. She will not comply...What are my options and rights at this point. I know changing the locks but what are the consequences if I find she enters the house? Can I threaten with trespassing, is that enough of a deterrent? Is there a stiffer consequence ?

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ct.
I have an ex-girfriend that I had a child with and over the years in situations that were necessary i.e. after school pick-ups, school vacation days that I worked....she would drop of child (13 years old). It has come to my attention that she has been coming in house, eating, and now taking things out of house. I now want to put an end to this by requesting to turn over keys and no longer enter my house. She will not comply...What are my options and rights at this point. I know changing the locks but what are the consequences if I find she enters the house? Can I threaten with trespassing, is that enough of a threat?

Just change the locks.

However, bear in mind that if you're not home and your 13 year old is, the 13 year old is likely going to allow Mom to come and go anyway.

LdiJ

Just change the locks.

However, bear in mind that if you're not home and your 13 year old is, the 13 year old is likely going to allow Mom to come and go anyway.
And...if what leaves the house belongs to the child, particularly if the things originated at mom's house, or are school related, that's even more problematic for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">