• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to figure out how to take action.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LTerry89

My sister recently confided in me that her boyfriend of 1 year beats her up regularly. The most current beating she took she told everyone she was in a car accident. I noticed the finger print bruises on her arms, needless to say we got her out, but the first night she was questioned by police she refused to talk to them. I hope she changes her mind, but is there anything my family and I can do to get him locked away for this? She constantly had bruises and marks that she always had some story for, and I'm at a loss for how to help her. She's going through enough right now and doesnt need this. Does anyone know anything?

Antigone*

My sister recently confided in me that her boyfriend of 1 year beats her up regularly. The most current beating she took she told everyone she was in a car accident. I noticed the finger print bruises on her arms, needless to say we got her out, but the first night she was questioned by police she refused to talk to them. I hope she changes her mind, but is there anything my family and I can do to get him locked away for this? She constantly had bruises and marks that she always had some story for, and I'm at a loss for how to help her. She's going through enough right now and doesnt need this. Does anyone know anything?
Call the police if you see that she is hurt. If she lies to the police then it is on her. You can't help someone who does not want to help themselves.

You might suggest to her that now is the time to purchase term life insurance on herself and name a family member as a beneficiary. This way when he kills her, at least her funeral is paid for.

Sheriff10

How old is your sister?

We are going through a similar situation with my 21 YO daughter. She confided 2 weeks ago that this scumbag beat, choked, and tackled her on numerous occasions. (We suspected this but she denied it). Always told the police nothing happened.

Since she is in college and is financially dependent on me, I used the only leverage I had. Since shame and physical harm was not enough to sway her, I threatened to cut her off financially and put her out of the house.

Since she confided the facts, I have pushed (successfully) for the police department detectives to pursue criminal charges on him. The DA is going to accept the case and ask the court to issue an arrest warrant.

She said she was scared to leave him. Said she feared he would come after her for going after him legally. I told her she has more to fear if she does NOT go after him.

As for your position, find out where the incidents happened. Find out who called the police. If neighbors called, go to the police with that information. If there were eyewitnesses, perhaps the police can go after him. Likely not though as any case would hinge on your sister's statements, testimony and willingness to pursue this.

Call the women's shelter in you city. Maybe if your sister knew what the end of this relationship would look like, she may ask for help before it gets there. The responding police officer was very graphic when describing to my daughter how many women look at the end of that ordeal if they don't get out.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">