• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to get my girlfriend's dv assault dropped.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blake.P

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Friday night my girlfriend and i went out for some drinks with friends. We came home and she became upset at me for "flirting" with another girl. It was late and i was tired so i went to bed. As i laid down apparently i was on/covered her cell phone. She came in the room upset yelling at me saying i have her phone and she wanted it. I didn't realize where it was and told her to calm down. She tried to push me off the bed to look around for her phone. At the time it seemed like she was trying to strike me. She ended up bumping me with her elbow and giving me a fat lip on accident. She then left our apartment. I shortly after received a text message from her saying she had "27 stitches" and was going to call an attorney (she was upset, trying to get a rise out of me). I had no idea what could have possible caused an injury requiring 27 stitches as i barely pushed her away from me.

After the text i called my mom to ask for advice, she then called the police and an officer came out and took my statement. Yesterday, after talking to my girlfriend and discussing what happened i called the officer and said i didn't want to take things any further. He had her come down to the station and fill out a statement. He then cited her for dv assault.

Basically we want everything dismissed. We both had too much to drink and acted childish. I am going to court with her to testify. The whole night was rediculous.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

CdwJava

You have no real say in what happens. At this point it is all up to the DA and about all you can do is attend court and testify truthfully as to what happens ... though, I doubt anyone is going to buy the covered cell phone tale, but you never know ...

It is also possible the local DA might drop the matter if you make it clear you would rather not have her prosecuted. You might be required to sign a document that says you will not hold anyone accountable for not arresting and prosecuting her.

Since she has been charged, she should speak to an attorney. And unless you want to inadvertently give the DA more evidence against her, you might consider leaving everything to her attorney.

Blake.P

You have no real say in what happens. At this point it is all up to the DA and about all you can do is attend court and testify truthfully as to what happens ... though, I doubt anyone is going to buy the covered cell phone tale, but you never know ...

It is also possible the local DA might drop the matter if you make it clear you would rather not have her prosecuted. You might be required to sign a document that says you will not hold anyone accountable for not arresting and prosecuting her.

Since she has been charged, she should speak to an attorney. And unless you want to inadvertently give the DA more evidence against her, you might consider leaving everything to her attorney.
Thanks for the info. I most certainly don't want her prosecuted. The whole thing was a misunderstanding and would have never been an issue if alcohol wasn't involved. We aren't violent people, we just had a moment of poor communication caused by a few too many ****tails. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">