• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to leave wife. Wife threatens me with false reports of domestic violence.Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joshua3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Here is the situation:
- myself: US citizen, engineer, good stable job, one year old child with my wife
- wife: Mexican citizen, unemployed, no income, extremely poor and chaotic background (she was sexually abused by her father during most of her childhood), two other children (from previous relations) currently living in Mexico with grandmother (I support them financially) She just became a temporary alien resident though our marriage (we've been marred for 1 year).

I met my wife just 2 years ago. She was leaving in Mexico at the time. She became pregnant from me after claiming that she could not have babies anymore - due to surgery for cervical cancer. Child born one year ago.
She rushed me to get married asap to get things easier. I hired an immigration lawyer and she received her work authorization card and conditional green card about 3 months ago. She is now trying to bring her two other kids and mom to the US.

I realized a little bit late that this relationship is essentially based on her desire to live in the US and bring her entire family here (I don't blame her when I see her former living conditions).

I honestly think that our marriage is fraud.

My wife is extremely jealous, aggressive and violent, verbally, emotionally and physically. I have been thinking about divorce or separation for the past few months. I can't take it anymore, I work all day, support her entire family in Mexico, pay all the bills, while she stay at home and do pretty much nothing all day. She is constantly jealous and accuses me of having affairs every time I don't answer the phone or come home 1 hour late. I don't get much from this relationship, she gets a lot (money, car, free house, she doesn't pay a single bill, her family is taken care of etc...)

Last Monday, she was gone when I came home. We got into an argument over the phone because I went to a party on the weekend with some friends and she is convinced I was fooling with other girls.
I was home. She arrived in the middle of the night and started to attack me and beat me in the face with her hands. I took several hits and didn't try to defend myself.
I went upstairs to the bedroom to pick up some clothes as I was planning to leave and spend the night in a hotel. I also told her that this relation was over and I was going to file for divorce the next morning. She said she would not let me leave and jumped on me while I was walking down the stairs.
She hurt herself and as I was getting ready to leave, she called the police and told me she was gonna have them send me to jail. She said she would tell the police that I beat her and pushed her in the stairs.

Police came. She was lying on the floor, supposedly in a lot of pain. Police asked what was going on. It was obvious that if she lied, I was gonna end up in jail. She changed her mind and said she fell herself. Police found this very suspicious. Paramedics came and she ended up in urgent care. She doesn't have a single bruise or concussion. She was released and on her feet after a couple of hours.
I had to take the day off yesterday due to emotional and physical exhaustion.

This morning I was getting ready to leave for work. She confiscated my cell phone, took my car and house keys and hid them somewhere. Previously I had recorded her on my phone when she was threatening me but I no longer have the phone. I asked that she gives me my stuff back but she didn't want. She said she would keep my phone and my keys and drive me to work back and forth with her car. She said she can call the police anytime and change her statement, falsely claiming that her falling in the stairs was the result of me beating her.
I never put a finger on her but she is pretty much ready to alert law enforcement to make a false report.
She is decided to take me to jail if I ever leave. She is capable and it wouldn't be hard for her to convince the police (she is the type of person who would injure herself to make false evidence)

I have thought about calling the police myself but I am not sure if they would believe her or me. The last thing I want is to end up in jail for something I didn't do.

I am currently at work without my car, house keys or cell phone.

I need legal advice of what my options are.

I want to end up this relationship asap, file for divorce and get her out of the house (I bough the house before I met her). I am also scared of what she would do when I file for divorce. She already said she would contact someone to get me killed if I ever leave her.
I do not want to have any physical contact with her and I am thinking about going to a shelter.
As mean as it can sound, I would like her to be deported back to Mexico as I really fear for my own safety.

Based on my observation and some of the things my wife said to her friends, this is my wife's plan:
- remain married to me for the next 2 years so that her conditional immigrant status can be removed. In the meantime, she wants to bring her entire family here, even though she can not support them financially (she asked me to be the petitioner).
- when she realized I wanted to file for divorce, she found out she could still remain in the US legally and keep with her plans if she filed for a U visa (a visa available to victims of domestic violence). So she is ready to make false statements to the police. She got the idea from a friend of hers who was really victim of domestic violence and who got her visa in no time.

Yes I need an attorney. Through my work, I have access to legal services and can have discount/free services for most issues.

What do I need to do regarding the stuff she took from me? Call the police, a lawyer or try to get it myself?
What can I do to assure my safety and prevent her from approaching me? I don't really have any tangible evidence to get a restraining order. It could be her words vs mine.
Do I need to leave my house for my own safety?
Can I get an annulment of our marriage based on the info above?

Thanks for any help.

W

Willlyjo

Here is the situation:
- myself: US citizen, engineer, good stable job, one year old child with my wife
- wife: Mexican citizen, unemployed, no income, extremely poor and chaotic background (she was sexually abused by her father during most of her childhood), two other children (from previous relations) currently living in Mexico with grandmother (I support them financially) She just became a temporary alien resident though our marriage (we've been marred for 1 year).

I met my wife just 2 years ago. She was leaving in Mexico at the time. She became pregnant from me after claiming that she could not have babies anymore - due to surgery for cervical cancer. Child born one year ago.
She rushed me to get married asap to get things easier. I hired an immigration lawyer and she received her work authorization card and conditional green card about 3 months ago. She is now trying to bring her two other kids and mom to the US.

I realized a little bit late that this relationship is essentially based on her desire to live in the US and bring her entire family here (I don't blame her when I see her former living conditions).

I honestly think that our marriage is fraud.

My wife is extremely jealous, aggressive and violent, verbally, emotionally and physically. I have been thinking about divorce or separation for the past few months. I can't take it anymore, I work all day, support her entire family in Mexico, pay all the bills, while she stay at home and do pretty much nothing all day. She is constantly jealous and accuses me of having affairs every time I don't answer the phone or come home 1 hour late. I don't get much from this relationship, she gets a lot (money, car, free house, she doesn't pay a single bill, her family is taken care of etc...)

Last Monday, she was gone when I came home. We got into an argument over the phone because I went to a party on the weekend with some friends and she is convinced I was fooling with other girls.
I was home. She arrived in the middle of the night and started to attack me and beat me in the face with her hands. I took several hits and didn't try to defend myself.
I went upstairs to the bedroom to pick up some clothes as I was planning to leave and spend the night in a hotel. I also told her that this relation was over and I was going to file for divorce the next morning. She said she would not let me leave and jumped on me while I was walking down the stairs.
She hurt herself and as I was getting ready to leave, she called the police and told me she was gonna have them send me to jail. She said she would tell the police that I beat her and pushed her in the stairs.

Police came. She was lying on the floor, supposedly in a lot of pain. Police asked what was going on. It was obvious that if she lied, I was gonna end up in jail. She changed her mind and said she fell herself. Police found this very suspicious. Paramedics came and she ended up in urgent care. She doesn't have a single bruise or concussion. She was released and on her feet after a couple of hours.
I had to take the day off yesterday due to emotional and physical exhaustion.

This morning I was getting ready to leave for work. She confiscated my cell phone, took my car and house keys and hid them somewhere. Previously I had recorded her on my phone when she was threatening me but I no longer have the phone. I asked that she gives me my stuff back but she didn't want. She said she would keep my phone and my keys and drive me to work back and forth with her car. She said she can call the police anytime and change her statement, falsely claiming that her falling in the stairs was the result of me beating her.
I never put a finger on her but she is pretty much ready to alert law enforcement to make a false report.
She is decided to take me to jail if I ever leave. She is capable and it wouldn't be hard for her to convince the police (she is the type of person who would injure herself to make false evidence)

I have thought about calling the police myself but I am not sure if they would believe her or me. The last thing I want is to end up in jail for something I didn't do.

I am currently at work without my car, house keys or cell phone.

I need legal advice of what my options are.

I want to end up this relationship asap, file for divorce and get her out of the house (I bough the house before I met her). I am also scared of what she would do when I file for divorce. She already said she would contact someone to get me killed if I ever leave her.
I do not want to have any physical contact with her and I am thinking about going to a shelter.
As mean as it can sound, I would like her to be deported back to Mexico as I really fear for my own safety.

Based on my observation and some of the things my wife said to her friends, this is my wife's plan:
- remain married to me for the next 2 years so that her conditional immigrant status can be removed. In the meantime, she wants to bring her entire family here, even though she can not support them financially (she asked me to be the petitioner).
- when she realized I wanted to file for divorce, she found out she could still remain in the US legally and keep with her plans if she filed for a U visa (a visa available to victims of domestic violence). So she is ready to make false statements to the police. She got the idea from a friend of hers who was really victim of domestic violence and who got her visa in no time.

Yes I need an attorney. Through my work, I have access to legal services and can have discount/free services for most issues.

What do I need to do regarding the stuff she took from me? Call the police, a lawyer or try to get it myself?
What can I do to assure my safety and prevent her from approaching me? I don't really have any tangible evidence to get a restraining order. It could be her words vs mine.
Do I need to leave my house for my own safety?
Can I get an annulment of our marriage based on the info above?

Thanks for any help.

Dude, you need to find a way to get away from this abusive marriage! I don't believe you'll succeed in getting an annulment, but a divorce should be no problem. Once divorced and away from this Psycho, you'll have to pay child support unless you have custody of your child. I don't believe (unless you want to) you are responcible for child-support concerning the other children (unless you adopted them). You were never responsible for supporting anyone outside of your immediate family, so once divorced (or annulled if possible) you should be able to get on with your life and be more comfortable financially. Good luck! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">