• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to work things out w/ my daughters mom and the grandma is absusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cca1984

Located here in CA

Good evening everyone and great site. I had a question that Mayne you could point me in the right direction.
I am currently trying to work things out with my daughters mother right now as we split about a year ago and are talking again. My kids mom lives with her mother and she isn't a fan of me because of what happened in the past with us. She knows we're trying to work things out and isn't a fan. We don't talk or anything. Well a couple nights ago ( the grandma works nights) my little one wasn't sleeping well and my girl asked me to come over and help with the little one since the grandma was working. I went over to their house and was laying in bed with my daughter and her mom ( my kids mom pays rent and 50% of everything). At about 3am, the grandma came home and bust opened the door and immediately starting hitting me and telling me to get out. She pushed my daughters mother and kept striking me in the head, body, etc. I kept telling her to stop and that I would leave, I came over to make sure my daughter was ok. My daughter is screaming for the grandma to stop. I put my sandals on during this kept getting hit. All I was doing was putting my hands up and blocking her from hitting me and telling her I am leaving. She said that she was going to get a restraining order against me. And that she could kill me

My question is since I did nothing wrong and cooperated to leave is there anything that I can do or am I in trouble?

Thanks again everyone in advance and sorry for the long post

CdwJava

Based upon you merely being in the house as an invited guest, there is no way that a restraining order would be issued. You could make a report against grandma for battery against you if you'd like, but,that might make things tough between you and your ex.

Now, if grandma can articulate other actions you have taken that put her or her property at risk, she might be able to get one. Though, if it involves DV against your ex, then your ex would likely have to seek that order.

As it is, unless she can convince a court that your mere presence was somehow a threat to her or her property, no CHO would be issued by a court.

Cca1984

Ah ok thank you for that. I was a little confused at the time and wasn't sure. I know with her laying hands on me and hitting me wasn't going to help cause I was over there asleep and not hurting anyone. As far as the battery, thank you I don't want to go down that path, I know she's just mad cause of what happened in the past. I just made sure to put my hands away from her and let her know even though she was hitting me, that I was leaving ( didn't think about fighting back or anything cause I knew she was mad)

Thanks again

CdwJava

I suspect that Cca1984 has a history of domestic violence ... or worse ... against his ex. And, now that you mention it, Shadowbunny, I am curious whether there is a restraining order in place as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">