• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unable to Gain Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mylifedestroyed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I was charged in 2006 with some stuff. I had it expunged. Then, a few years later, i got in trouble again. Thus, I am unable to get anymore expungements. The new charge was "assault on a female."

I have been applying for jobs, and since this is (1) a violent crime, (2) on a female, it must sure be hurting my job applications.

The companies never told me that it was my record that hurt my application. I simply never heard anything from them after applying, but I would suspect this is what it is since I have been having such little luck despite graduating from a highly ranked university.

Is my only option to be homeless the rest of my life because of this record? Can I leave the country, and for instance, go to Canada?

Just Blue

I was charged in 2006 with some stuff. I had it expunged. Then, a few years later, i got in trouble again. Thus, I am unable to get anymore expungements. The new charge was "assault on a female."

I have been applying for jobs, and since this is (1) a violent crime, (2) on a female, it must sure be hurting my job applications.

The companies never told me that it was my record that hurt my application. I simply never heard anything from them after applying, but I would suspect this is what it is since I have been having such little luck despite graduating from a highly ranked university.

Is my only option to be homeless the rest of my life because of this record? Can I leave the country, and for instance, go to Canada?
Are you freeking kidding?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It likely has more to do with the fact that your crime/s was/were violent, rather than who your victim was.

You might need to aim lower in your job search. WalMart and fast food are often hiring.

eerelations

Canadian employers are just as leery of hiring violent ex-cons as US employers. However, you won't have to worry about that because there's no way Canadian immigration authorities are going to grant a work permit to someone with a record like yours.

Eekamouse

You should have made your screen name "Idestroyedmylife." I am shocked you actually think you would be considered for a responsible, well paying job with that on your record. Aim MUCH lower.

Just Blue

It likely has more to do with the fact that your crime/s was/were violent, rather than who your victim was.

You might need to aim lower in your job search. WalMart and fast food are often hiring.
Based on what OP has posted...It is doubtful that WalMart or McDonalds would hire him/her.

Mass_Shyster

I don't know what the laws are in North Carolina, but I suspect your employment difficulties may be just as much based on your lack of experience as your record. Can an employer check your criminal background without your consent in NC?

You don't need to move to Canada. You could probably move to any of the other 49 states. Most background checks to not check all 50 states, they only check the state you're in.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are making applications and never hearing back, it is 100% certain that your record has nothing to do with it.

Now, if you are making applications, coming in for interviews, and then never hearing again, then MAYBE it's your criminal record that's a problem. But if you're getting no response to your initial applications, your potential employers don't even know you have a criminal record unless you are telling them. Employers simply do not do background checks before interviewing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">