• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utah protective order. Is it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thewaydownx

Utah. About 6 years ago, when i was 18 or 19. I dated a girl that was underage. Her parents have a grudge against me for some reason and think that i am a horrible person(their other daughter who is older, i dated when i was underage, we broke up, and she has hated me ever since), when they found out i was hanging out with her the two girls parents filed a protective order against me on behalf of the two girls, who both were underage at the time. There was no violence associated. I didnt know about the court hearing so i got a call from the judge the day of the hearing, he told me basically that i can not have any contact with the two girls and that i have to stay a outside a set parameter, I was nervous and young and just agreed to the order, considering i didnt plan on seeing the girl or her family ever again. I am weary about contacting the court, because a couple of years ago, I was interrogated by a police officer at the courthouse in my city, and was informed how the underage girl claimed that we had sexual intercourse, we did not, but it is her word against mine. That was about three years ago, and after the interrogation i got a hold of a good lawer, told him what happened, and he told me he would be in contact with the officer/lawers/courthouse, if they needed anything else from me. I haven't heard anything else on the matter since then. I am afraid that if i go to the courthouse to try and get the protective order removed, they will pull up the more recent allegation against me and I want to stay as far away from that as possible. What should I do?

a separate matter is that i just purchased a firearm for personal protection and took a class to get my concealed carry permit. On the paper it said check yes if you have a protective order filed against you, i wasnt sure if it was technically a protective order or not, so i selected no. If the BCI looked into my information, would this bar me from getting my permit? Is it a protective order?

OHRoadwarrior

It will not only get you denied if a PO was issued, you could potentially be charged for falsification of a gov't document.

single317dad

Protective orders in Utah are permanent. You should hire an attorney to look into the matter if you don't want to do it yourself. After two years, you can petition the court to dismiss the order. The attorney could also determine if there are any charges pending in the other matter (highly unlikely after all this time, but remotely possible). You may already be in violation of federal law for owning a firearm while the protective order is in place.

Start here: http://www.utcourts.gov/resources/forms/protectorder/information.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">