• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbally abusive, threatens suicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mainemoose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ME

My sister is going through a messy divorce, lost her job a year ago and her house as well. She and her 5 year old now live with my mother. Growing up my sister frequently lied and often fought with my parents. Now things are worse than they have ever been. She has stolen prescription pain pills from my mother (who at the time decided not to press charges, grrrrrrrrrrrrr) and in the past has stolen money from her as well. My sister doesn't work (nor is she looking for a job), she is isolating herself and her daughter and constantly fighting with my mother. She threatens suicide frequently. My mother truely believes she is paranoid. Personally I think there is a pretty deep pysch history that was never identified. I suspect she is bipolar, maybe paranoid, too. She refuses to get help. The last time my mom mentioned to her that she thought she was paranoid she told her that if she said that one more time she was going to leave and they could bury her in a box. Not only am I worried for the stress it is putting on everyone, I'm worried about the long term effects on her child.

We are at our witts end, afraid to push her as we don't want her to committ suicide, but on the other hand how can we force her to get help when she clearly doesn't want it.

Hot Topic

Committing suicide has to be seen as a ploy. She was so anxious to continue living despite (apparently) being in pain that she stole the pills from your mother, who definitely should have taken action (she probably would have gotten the help she needs). It's highly unlikely she really wants to leave.

If you truly believe her behavior is having a bad effect on her child, you need to call CPS or bring in social services.

mainemoose

I kinda think that her threatening to committ suicide is a ploy, her way of being manipulative. CPS doesn't seem to investigate much up here (I've had to call them for work before) Since my sister won't even talk to me or be in the same room with me the verbal abuse I'm hearing about is all second hand (from my mother). Of course I see things in my neice that make me think there are going to be issues but as far as concrete evidence of what she says to her, I don't personally have it. I've been trying to convince my mother to call CPS if she has even the slightest of suspicions. She remains reluctant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">