• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbally/emotionally abusive husband and his parents are witnesses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello,

I'm in the midst of a divorce due to ex's drug problems and emotional/verbal abuse and jeopardization of our son. I am asking for sole custodies with monitored visitation for my ex.

The problem is that the only witnesses I have to his abuse (threats to my life and physical safety...his mom saw him threatening with a sledgehammer in his hand, name-calling, degrading, etc...). My son witnessed it too but he's only 2. I never filed restraining orders..by the time I gathered enough money for a lawyer, I was told that I needed to have more recent incidences for a restraining order. All of this happened 6 months ago and he has verbally abused me several times since then (during conversations attempting to do a amicable divorce...it didn't work and I've hired an attorney) but he has not come near me physically.

If it comes right down to it, can his parents be called as a witnesses? I'm not sure how upfront or honest they would be about it. Can they be forced to testify?

I'm so lost in all of this...any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">