• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

violated restraning order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

izzie

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Vermont
My brother and his wife got into an argument. He grabbed her by her blouse and shoved her away.He started throwing stuff around at the walls,(pictures,lamps) She calles the police and he was released and a restraining order was put on him for domestic abuse. Nothing has ever happened like this before.She has been having phone conversations with another man.He found out and this started the arrgument.This all happened last Thursday
Anyways, he violated the restraining order. He called her ALOT.But she also returned his calls.
He was to go to court Monday on the incident that happened. On the way to court he pulls into their drive way and yells that he wants to talk to her.
He then left. Got arrested and is going back to court this Tuesday.
Will he end up in jail for violating the restraining order??
Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

izzie said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Vermont
My brother and his wife got into an argument. He grabbed her by her blouse and shoved her away.He started throwing stuff around at the walls,(pictures,lamps) She calles the police and he was released and a restraining order was put on him for domestic abuse. Nothing has ever happened like this before.She has been having phone conversations with another man.He found out and this started the arrgument.This all happened last Thursday
Anyways, he violated the restraining order. He called her ALOT.But she also returned his calls.
He was to go to court Monday on the incident that happened. On the way to court he pulls into their drive way and yells that he wants to talk to her.
He then left. Got arrested and is going back to court this Tuesday.
Will he end up in jail for violating the restraining order??
Thanks in advance.
Its possible. Your brother needs to learn the meaning of a restraining order.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unless the order also bars her from contacting him (they often do not), she's done nothing wrong. Your brother, on the other hand, needs a firm lesson in what a judge means when s/he hands down an order. And it is not "this is what I'd like you to do, but go ahead and ignore it if you want." It is "this is what you WILL do, or I'll hand you your head on a platter."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">