• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to file restraining order against parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ItalianStallion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I'm 21 years old at the end of the month. I'm a college student. Basically I want a restraining order against my parents. They're verbally abusive, and they drive me insane. Never happy with anything I do. Everytime I go home, we always get into verbal and physical fights, and I'm tired of it. I'm unhappy with them in my life, and now my dad pulled a stunt down here on campus that has campus security AND my football coaches involved. I know I don't legally have to keep in contact with them, but they don't realize that, and thats how security and the coaches are now involved. Now I can't look at the coaches the same way again, and now I have to rebuild what little social life I have. Would a judge hear this case? I attend college in WV, so is it possible the restraining order could apply to both states? I have grandparents I can live with when I'm home if I have to move out.

Eekamouse

Are they paying for your schooling? If they are, don't be shocked if they pull the plug financially on you when you file for the restraining order. If they are not paying for your school or any of your expenses, then you have nothing to worry about.

ItalianStallion

Are they paying for your schooling? If they are, don't be shocked if they pull the plug financially on you when you file for the restraining order. If they are not paying for your school or any of your expenses, then you have nothing to worry about.
Yes they pay for schooling. I'm not too worried about that. My college-educated aunt could sign off for loans. Would a judge even hear this case?

Isis1

Yes they pay for schooling. I'm not too worried about that. My college-educated aunt could sign off for loans. Would a judge even hear this case?

Simply cut off contact.

However, shame on you for welching off your parents only to welch off other family members.

Why not put your big kid panties and start supporting yourself?

A judge will only grant a restraining order AFTER you have followed the legal process of cutting off all contact.

ItalianStallion

I understand I legally don't have to keep contact with them anymore.

THEY don't. And thats why security and the coaches got involved.

I want them out. They're holding me back in life, and I feel I can do better without them.

Eekamouse

Sure, if there have been threats to you or physical violence. If it's just going to be, "They're mean to me, Judge, and I want to get even with them by cutting them off from contact with me. I'll be back in a month or so, wanting to sue them for cutting me off financially.", don't hold your breath. You know, if they're putting you through college, you really ought to think about what you're doing. They have every right to have expectations of you. You're going to school on their dime. Look up words like gratitude and appreciation and expectation. You might learn something that will help you through this. :D:D

ItalianStallion

Sure, if there have been threats to you or physical violence. If it's just going to be, "They're mean to me, Judge, and I want to get even with them by cutting them off from contact with me. I'll be back in a month or so, wanting to sue them for cutting me off financially.", don't hold your breath. You know, if they're putting you through college, you really ought to think about what you're doing. They have every right to have expectations of you. You're going to school on their dime. Look up words like gratitude and appreciation and expectation. You might learn something that will help you through this. :D:D
I appreciate you wanting me to try and work it out. I honestly do, but thats not an option. They VERBALLY and PHYSICALLY assault me, and they believe it still qualifies as discipline and NOT child abuse, even though I'll be 21 soon.

ItalianStallion

And I don't plan on suing them if they stop paying for school, either.

Isis1

I understand I legally don't have to keep contact with them anymore.

THEY don't. And thats why security and the coaches got involved.

I want them out. They're holding me back in life, and I feel I can do better without them.
I roll my eyes at you.

You are the ONLY one holding yourself back. You live in their home. You are taking their money for your education. You plan on using your aunt to continue your education, your grandparents for residence.

Why don't you simply support yourself?

I don't speak to my own mother. I'm 35. I moved out when I was 17. Graduated high school and completed a cosmotology course during my senior year not living with either of my parents,or taking a dime from either of them.

Self sufficient. You should try it.

Isis1

I appreciate you wanting me to try and work it out. I honestly do, but thats not an option. They VERBALLY and PHYSICALLY assault me, and they believe it still qualifies as discipline and NOT child abuse, even though I'll be 21 soon.
The plot thickens.

If they are physically assaulting you, call the police and file a report.

ItalianStallion

I roll my eyes at you.

You are the ONLY one holding yourself back. You live in their home. You are taking their money for your education. You plan on using your aunt to continue your education, your grandparents for residence.

Why don't you simply support yourself?

I don't speak to my own mother. I'm 35. I moved out when I was 17. Graduated high school and completed a cosmotology course during my senior year not living with either of my parents,or taking a dime from either of them.

Self sufficient. You should try it.

Honestly am trying. Zero intent of disrespect toward you, honestly. They keep getting involved when I tell them not to, then they start fights cause they think they're always right.

Been wanting to move out for years, they always bring me home instead of letting me go stay with someone else over holiday breaks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Honestly am trying. Zero intent of disrespect toward you, honestly. They keep getting involved when I tell them not to, then they start fights cause they think they're always right.

Been wanting to move out for years, they always bring me home instead of letting me go stay with someone else over holiday breaks.
So they force you into their car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">