• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We thought the protection order was dropped and I got arrested.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kloque

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

The judge told me that when I got a DV Evaluation and Risk assessment the protection order would be dropped. Me and My girlfriend both have requested it to be dropped before that. Well I did the risk assessment and Eval and I thought it was done. A couple months later I was with my girlfriend who got pulled over for a cracked windshield and I got arrested. I wasn't read my Miranda rights, and after spending two days in jail they released me and told me that the officer didn't have my ticket notorized and it was court ordered to release me from jail. I called the court and they said I still have a case and I still had to appear at court. I honestly thought my protection order was dropped as me and my gf both requested it to be dropped and the judge (Judge cooling in Fremont county) told me as soon as I got my risk assessment and eval it would be dropped. And I did that and have been attending classes, probation and I've done everything right and been good (out of trouble) since this happened almost a year ago. Do I have a defense or am I going to do jail time no matter what?

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

The judge told me that when I got a DV Evaluation and Risk assessment the protection order would be dropped. Me and My girlfriend both have requested it to be dropped before that. Well I did the risk assessment and Eval and I thought it was done. A couple months later I was with my girlfriend who got pulled over for a cracked windshield and I got arrested. I wasn't read my Miranda rights, and after spending two days in jail they released me and told me that the officer didn't have my ticket notorized and it was court ordered to release me from jail. I called the court and they said I still have a case and I still had to appear at court. I honestly thought my protection order was dropped as me and my gf both requested it to be dropped and the judge (Judge cooling in Fremont county) told me as soon as I got my risk assessment and eval it would be dropped. And I did that and have been attending classes, probation and I've done everything right and been good (out of trouble) since this happened almost a year ago. Do I have a defense or am I going to do jail time no matter what?
You need to make sure that the entity that did your risk assessment and eval has submitted to the court.
You need to make sure that the court is receiving documentation that you have been attending classes.

It could be that it is a paperwork error, and the court has not r'cd the documentation.

justalayman

urt ordered to release me from jail. I called the court and they said I still have a case and I still had to appear at court. I honestly thought my protection order was dropped as me and my gf both requested it to be dropped and the judge (Judge cooling in Fremont county) told me as soon as I got my risk assessment and eval it would be dropped.
do you have a signed order amending or vacating the no contact order? If not, then you cannot argue anything because if it is dropped or amended, you will get to sign the order and receive a copy of it.

Do I have a defense or am I going to do jail time no matter what?
that is up to the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">