• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do about Child abuse/neglect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adaeze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tn

I turned 18 in the summer. I have lived with my “mother” for as long as I can remember. As soon as I turned 18, I moved several states away to live with my father because my mother is emotionally/physically abusive. She took me out of school (where I had been doing well) when I was 12 and put me into a sort of home school (one where you do most of the work at home, then go to the “school” to take a test. She only put me back into school because Child services had come and made her.). When Child services had come, I remember we had to lie about everything in order for them not to take us. In the following years after DCS had come, I found her to be extremely physically abusive. She has beaten me with an oven handle; made a hole in the wall with my body; and had me against the wall choking me, not to mention other things. All these things happened before I was 18. There were witnesses, but I never reported anything because I didn’t know what would happen to my little brother and sister. I’ve heard a lot of bad stories about foster kids/kids in “the system”; and, unlike me, I’m not sure if living with their fathers would be better (they’re both alcoholics).

Now that I am out from under her authority, I constantly worry about my brother (who is about 13 and Autistic, and who I saw thrown across the floor by her before) and sister (who is 9). I know that she has taken my sister out of school (with no alternative, she’s just been out of school for 2 months doing nothing), and often leaves her home alone with a 40-something schizophrenic who is also mentally retarded (she is my mother’s sister who she started taking care of because she no longer has the $800 +/month from my child support). Apparently, it’s my sister’s job to watch her while everyone else is gone. She even has to go to the bathroom with her. She has a menagerie of expensive show animals that she spends hundreds/thousands on, but refuses to buy her children very basic things. My other aunt had to send my brother and my schizophrenic aunt food because my brother was constantly complaining about being hungry, and my schizophrenic aunt had gotten sick from eating out of the garbage. My other aunt also buys my brother and sister clothes/shoes because my mother doesn’t. All of this isn’t even the worst my mother has to offer, I just don’t want to sit here and write a book (just yet). She’s smuggled people over from Mexico, sold bootleg liquor, and abandoned 4 other children who are all grown now (but who she denies having ever given birth to). She is known to the rest of the family as a big problem, but always manages to avoid being found out (by the authorities, I mean) as the monster that she is. My question is what can I do about it all? I really just want to have custody of my brother and sister. My father knows the situation, and has agreed to help me with them even though they’re not his. I feel like I missed an opportunity by not reporting the physical abuse, but like I said, I was more afraid of what might happen than by what was already happening. Does it help that I had witnesses to a couple of the instances? When she was choking and biting me, my brother, sister, and niece saw. When she was beating me with an oven handle and smothering me with her 400+ pound frame, my stepdad (her husband, who is actually an illegal alien) actually made her stop and pulled me up from the floor. By the way, all of this takes place in TN (except where I live now, which is NY). Any help appreciated.

CdwJava

If this is for real, then you need to speak with the child protective agency in their jurisdiction and relate what you have observed and your concerns for your siblings. If it is not reported, it is likely nothing will happen.

adaeze

By "if this is for real", are you trying to say that you don't believe it, and that no one would believe it if I told them? I would report it, but that's my problem: I don't know (a) if they'll believe it, and (b) if they go and check it out, what if it's one of those days where she's actually home and doing normal things. I know that if she feels threatened, she'll pick up and move off. She's always talking of Mexico. I've thought about hiring a private investigator to dig up things on her so that when I tell people my story, I'll have proof of all her name changes, children, etc. and won't just be met with disbelief. But, I'm sure you both know this is all true. Why would someone take the time to type all of this if it wasn't? It's not fun.
(Thanks for responding)

Proserpina

By "if this is for real", are you trying to say that you don't believe it, and that no one would believe it if I told them? I would report it, but that's my problem: I don't know (a) if they'll believe it, and (b) if they go and check it out
Whether you are believed or not, NOT reporting it is about a zillion times worse than reporting it.

If you report, at least there's a chance - and it's out of your hands. An investigation will begin and you'll know that, at the very least, you've tried.

justice344

I know a mother like this and yes this sort of stuff does happen. I have seen it. A mother of 4 keeping 4 kids out of school because she doesn't want to get up in the morning to take them when asked she lies and says they are being home schooled which they have not one book to back it up. the abuse fits in the same category. Have you thought about putting a camera in the home. I would look up the laws in your state and report it continuously. But I will tell you this much people like this know what to say to not lose there kids. They are master manipulators. This is why you are going to need proof beyond a shadow of a doubt. I would tell the younger ones that if mommy hits you to tell them at school they will help you. It's a lot to put on you but teaching then that love shouldn't hurt is the best way to go.

CdwJava

By "if this is for real", are you trying to say that you don't believe it, and that no one would believe it if I told them? I would report it, but that's my problem: I don't know (a) if they'll believe it, and (b) if they go and check it out, what if it's one of those days where she's actually home and doing normal things.
No one can predict what the authorities might do if you report it. However, it is certain that NOTHING will happen if NO report is made.

So, you can do nothing and allow things to continue on, or, you can take affirmative action and call the authorities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">