• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do next

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jinger007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

So my husband has been emotionally abusive for years, he finally got physically abusive. I tried to leave with our son, he prevented me from doing so, grabbed my phone when I tried to call cops so I had to run to a neighbors to call them. They took pictures of my injury but I signed a paper declining to press charges. They let me leave with child. He is telling everyone that I attacked him. He is telling me to take myself off our joint bank account and that he will give me money separately. Also threatening to sell social security our son is no longer with him so to stop paying it. ( he is retired military- 100% disabled) I have no other income. He is telling me our child will suffer if I do not come back, that i am doing this to our family. i have documented some of this abuse, and have a recording of him threatening us.

I do not know what I am entitled to, what do to next. Currently staying at someone's house, but ideally I would like to leave the state eventually. Any help would be great. Thanks.

CdwJava

Follow this link and call one of these resources for assistance immediately:

http://www.aardvarc.org/dv/states/txdv.shtml

Or, check online in your area or with the local police or sheriff's office for DV and family resources. You should NOT have to live in fear!

Also ask about assistance in obtaining some legal services for advice on how to proceed with a divorce and financial assistance. Most these programs should have that information available to you as well. Keep in mind that it is late on a Sunday, so it may not be until Monday that you can reach anyone.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

So my husband has been emotionally abusive for years, he finally got physically abusive. I tried to leave with our son, he prevented me from doing so, grabbed my phone when I tried to call cops so I had to run to a neighbors to call them. They took pictures of my injury but I signed a paper declining to press charges. They let me leave with child. He is telling everyone that I attacked him. He is telling me to take myself off our joint bank account and that he will give me money separately. Also threatening to sell social security our son is no longer with him so to stop paying it. ( he is retired military- 100% disabled) I have no other income. He is telling me our child will suffer if I do not come back, that i am doing this to our family. i have documented some of this abuse, and have a recording of him threatening us.

I do not know what I am entitled to, what do to next. Currently staying at someone's house, but ideally I would like to leave the state eventually. Any help would be great. Thanks.
I would suggest that you contact a domestic violence shelter. You do not necessarily need to stay at the shelter but they have many resources to help you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And your son living with you and not him is not a reason for the SS benefits to be stopped. Time to educate yourself and utilize the available resources suggested above. And yes, start looking for work. You need to become self-sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">