• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to expect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Good afternoon, I took steps to file a restraining order against my ex. The police were able to deliver the notice, but I forgot to ask what exactly is going to happen @ the hearing? Thanks in advance!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Good afternoon, I took steps to file a restraining order against my ex. The police were able to deliver the notice, but I forgot to ask what exactly is going to happen @ the hearing? Thanks in advance!
This is not really something we could answer with accuracy (based on your post). You might want to call the Victim/Witness Advocate and ask her/him.

st-kitts

In PA, domestic violence is defined for the purposes of getting a protection from abuse order as:

Abuse is the occurrence of one or more of the following acts between family or household members.

1.Attempting to cause or causing (with or without a deadly weapon):
  • ◦Bodily injury
  • ◦Rape
  • ◦Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse (oral sex, anal sex, vaginal or anal penetration with a foreign object performed under force or the threat of force, or while unconscious)*
  • ◦Sexual assault
  • ◦Aggravated indecent assault
  • ◦Indecent assault
  • ◦Incest
2.Placing another in reasonable fear of immediate serious bodily injury ;
3.False imprisonment;
4.Physical or sexual abuse of a child; or
5.Engaging in a course of conduct or repeatedly committing acts toward another person, including following the person, under circumstances which place the person in reasonable fear of bodily injury. In other words, stalking or harassment that makes you afraid of bodily injury.****

In the upcoming hearing you will need to demonstrate that your ex is engaging in or has engaged in acts listed above such that you are in reasonable fear of bodily injury.

Most regions have local domestic violence outreach centers that provide free assistance. They will be able to advise you on what happens at a protection from abuse hearing in your local court system and give you some guidance as to how to best prepare. In some cases, an advocate may even accompany you to court. You can locate your nearest outreach office by contacting the National Domestic Violence hotline and asking them for a referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">