• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Happens If Petitioner Violates Restraining Order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cctampa

What is the name of your state? Florida

I filed a restraining order against someone, now I'm being ordered to court because I apparently violated the restraining order because I had contact with the person I put the restraining order against. What happens next? Will I get in trouble or go to jail? I'm not the respondent or the person who served the restraining order, I'm the one who filed it. Thanks in advance.

Ozark_Sophist

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If petitioner communicates with respondent and respondent replies, respondent violates the restraining order. Many states have recognized this injustice by extending the no-contact order to both parties. Courts see it as a waste of time and money when a petitioner applies for and is granted a restraining order which petitioner then ignores by communicating/visiting respondent. If you needed protection, why is there any communication?

I'm not sure how your particular state addresses the issue, but I'm sure others will be along.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Depending on the nature of the contact it could be used to overturn the restraining order entirely. It also does depend on the wording of the restraining order.

BL

The Judge will not be happy !! They look at it as a waste of Court time and monies spent .

In addition , it used to be when both parties showed in Court , the court would just dismiss the the RO , and state I never want to see either one of you in front of me again .

However , the Courts in recent years have taken on a much harsher roll , because there is too many victims of DV ( both sides ) being fatalities .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">