• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what if he lies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadserenade

i had to call the cops on my jealous and raging boyfriend. :eek: i didn't realize that even though i just wanted to file a report, they had to press charges. he destroyed my property and threatened to punch me, but he didn't actually punch me. he's being charged with breach of peace and criminal mischief. it's fine with me that he is being charged, things have been escalating for the last few months and i know it's only a matter of time before he does hit me, so i'm done with it. :) i know that the gave a false statement to the officer. can i get a copy of all the court documents to see what he is saying happened? and, if he just lies about the whole thing, and it's my word against his, plus my pictures of the damaged property, how can i be sure that he will be found guilty? is there anything i can do to prepare? he has a lawyer and i have a victim advocate.

Antigone*

i had to call the cops on my jealous and raging boyfriend. :eek: i didn't realize that even though i just wanted to file a report, they had to press charges. he destroyed my property and threatened to punch me, but he didn't actually punch me. he's being charged with breach of peace and criminal mischief. it's fine with me that he is being charged, things have been escalating for the last few months and i know it's only a matter of time before he does hit me, so i'm done with it. :) i know that the gave a false statement to the officer. can i get a copy of all the court documents to see what he is saying happened? and, if he just lies about the whole thing, and it's my word against his, plus my pictures of the damaged property, how can i be sure that he will be found guilty? is there anything i can do to prepare? he has a lawyer and i have a victim advocate.
You cannot be sure he will be found guilty. You should speak to your victim's advocate about a restraining order.

sadserenade

the court issued a full protective order that will last until the case ends in court. i have at least 6 weeks with that.

SarieKay

You didn't say which state you live in. In California, the domestic violence laws are constantly changing and getting more strict. In my experience, police officers don't take reports "for documentation", they take reports for criminal prosecution.

You need to contact your advocate and/or the District Attorney prosecuting the case. If he lies, he lies, all you have to do is tell the truth and follow through with the court proceedings. A restraining order is helpful too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">