• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What prove must there be to get a restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mnm8844

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

What does an accuser that is filing for a restraining order have to prove if anything? Can they win with just statements and their testimony, no physical evidence or police arrest. The accused has never had any criminal record or violent history.

My brother decided to marry a woman he met from over seas, after they got their marriage license of being together for 3 months she left and has accused him of sexual assault. She is the one that begged him to get the marriage license but after she got it she filed a police report that my brother assaulted her. Her VISA has expired and with this accusation she gets immunity from immigration. Its been almost 3 months and the police has not arrested my brother yet because they do not have any good evidence. Yesterday my brother went into the police station and the officer working on the case told him they are going to forward the investigation reports to the DA with recommendation of no charges.

The only thing that did not sit well with me was, he went into his injunction hearing without a lawyer and she brought a lawyer. The only evidence she provided was her written statements and testimony. No other evidence, or any evidence from the police. My brother argued that they live with my parents and sibling, no one heard or was aware of any of the sexual assaults and she did not even tell anyone. The judge stated that, just because no one in the house did not see anything or hear anything, my brother had to prove that nothing occurred when they were out of the house. This got me upset because the accuser filing for the restraining order should have to prove that my brother is a threat and assaulted her, not the other way around. Is this normal? I can get a restraining order this easy? The worst part is he issued it for 4 years, the maximum time allowed in Wisconsin.

Now he has lost his right to bare any firearms and part of his freedom.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

What does an accuser that is filing for a restraining order have to prove if anything? Can they win with just statements and their testimony, no physical evidence or police arrest. The accused has never had any criminal record or violent history.

My brother decided to marry a woman he met from over seas, after they got their marriage license of being together for 3 months she left and has accused him of sexual assault. She is the one that begged him to get the marriage license but after she got it she filed a police report that my brother assaulted her. Her VISA has expired and with this accusation she gets immunity from immigration. Its been almost 3 months and the police has not arrested my brother yet because they do not have any good evidence. Yesterday my brother went into the police station and the officer working on the case told him they are going to forward the investigation reports to the DA with recommendation of no charges.

The only thing that did not sit well with me was, he went into his injunction hearing without a lawyer and she brought a lawyer. The only evidence she provided was her written statements and testimony. No other evidence, or any evidence from the police. My brother argued that they live with my parents and sibling, no one heard or was aware of any of the sexual assaults and she did not even tell anyone. The judge stated that, just because no one in the house did not see anything or hear anything, my brother had to prove that nothing occurred when they were out of the house. This got me upset because the accuser filing for the restraining order should have to prove that my brother is a threat and assaulted her, not the other way around. Is this normal? I can get a restraining order this easy? The worst part is he issued it for 4 years, the maximum time allowed in Wisconsin.

Now he has lost his right to bare any firearms and part of his freedom.
https://www.doj.state.wi.us/ocvs/victim-rights/restraining-orders

Stealth's question is an excellent one.

mnm8844

And he didn't have a lawyer, because.... ?
It was a Civil case and only a 48 hour notice, the lawyer couldn't make it and he thought it would be easy because he didn't do anything wrong. But most questions that he asked got objected, but still, they did not even provide any evidence. Is it this easy to get a restraining order?

mnm8844

So, you didn't read the info at the link.

Can't help you.
I read that a few days ago already, I already found my answer. I just thought this site had actual people with actual legal experience.

There must be facts showing an imminent danger of physical harm before a temporary restraining order can be issued. Domestic abuse is defined in statute 813.12 as an intentional infliction of or threat to inflict physical pain, physical injury or illness; impairment of physical condition; damage to personal property; or sexual contact or sexual intercourse without consent. There must be facts showing an imminent danger of physical harm before a temporary restraining order can be issued.

Silverplum

I read that a few days ago already, I already found my answer. I just thought this site had actual people with actual legal experience.

There must be facts showing an imminent danger of physical harm before a temporary restraining order can be issued. Domestic abuse is defined in statute 813.12 as an intentional infliction of or threat to inflict physical pain, physical injury or illness; impairment of physical condition; damage to personal property; or sexual contact or sexual intercourse without consent. There must be facts showing an imminent danger of physical harm before a temporary restraining order can be issued.
Aren't you the funniest. :rolleyes:

The judge decides, based on the petition and evidence. Apparently your brother messed up. Bummer 'bout that.

mnm8844

No you are wrong, I did some research and the judgment was done by a court commissioner who is an idiot. I found out we can file for De Novo injunction hearing with an actual court judge within 30 days. It will throw out the old hearing and start new hearing with an actual judge. I guess I solved my own problem and something you can research to find what it is. :)

Silverplum

No you are wrong, I did some research and the judgment was done by a court commissioner who is an idiot. I found out we can file for De Novo injunction hearing with an actual court judge within 30 days. It will throw out the old hearing and start new hearing with an actual judge. I guess I solved my own problem and something you can research to find what it is. :)
That's nice.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Actually... "we" can do nothing. Your dog? Ain't in the fight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">