• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is wrong with our justice system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mustanghtch77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM
This is absoulutely ridiculous. My fiance and I moved into an apartment complex where her aunt and uncle some cousins and her mom and step dad lived. Mistake I know. My fiance's step dad is a convicted sex offender with a 2nd degree assault charge and false imprisonment along with a few charges for writing bad checks. He claims to be dying of two terminal diseases one is called wegener s disease and i dont know the other. At the end of this past march, we borrowed an air mattress from her step dad and mother because we had a guest stay the night. A couple days had passed and I didnt have time to fold up the mattress and return it. A few days later, my best man and I went to go get fitted for our tuxedos. My fiance's step dad expressed his dissapointment in not being invited to come with us. My best man already told me he didnt like her step dad he could tell there was something about him that didnt sit well with him and he had no desire to have him come along. I had explained this to the step dad many times and he is soo pushy and thick headed he does not just let things be.

At the earlier start of our relationship, I moved in with my fiancee and her mom n step dad. I found my fiances step dad a 6ft 265 lbs bully full of hot air, to come off very pushy and he kept threatening me telling me stuff like if you ever lay a hand on her i ll put a bullet between your eyes and i know people who will break knee caps for my prescription pills. i assured him i am not a man who beats on women. I train and compete in martial arts i get in there and fight men and i kick ass and get my ass kicked so i have no reason to beat on a woman. I also saw that he was very verbally abusive to my fiance and her mother always yelling and screaming and making empty threats. I decided to remove my fiancee from the environment and we talked to my parents about moving in. After a week or so of being at my family's house, her step dad finds my dads accounting firm in the phone book and shows up to my dads office without an appointment and got upset when my dad shunned him away and assured my fiancee s mother that she was at a safe home.

Well due to the medication that her step dad takes he claims the phetonal patch makes him mean and abusive. ON this particular day in march however, he asked the day after we tried on our tuxedos if we could return the air mattress. The following day, I called and left him a message and even sent him a text message asking him when he would be around so i could return it. He never answered my text or returned my phone call. A day after i called and sent him text messages, my fiancee received a phone call from her step dad and he left us a message with a few choice words and a bunch of yelling and screaming. My fiancee got out of bed and said im just going to take it to him right now and I said no I dont want you to he is just going yell at you to start a fight. So I took the air mattress and threw it out in front of our apartment and texted him back if you want your air mattress you can come and get it from outside. Well he came over yelling and screaming throwing a fit and making a huge scene causing all the tenants to come out of the apartment. While on his way he was yelling at me threatening to kick the **** out of me and put a bullet between my eyes so i came outside in front of my apartment on the balconey and told him i was tired of the threats and if he s goin to do it just do it quit threatening me and do it. Well he took a swing at me and I bobbed my head back and he missed me then he took another swing at me and hit me in the shoulder then he pushed me through the neighbors window. The police were called out they asked me what happened in one room then asked my fiancee in another room what happened. The officer came back and said ok im getting pretty much the same explanation from both of you. They went to go talk to her step dad and he pulled the im terminally ill card and played the victim well the police came back and arrested me. Their justification was that it was a domestic violence call and someone has to go to jail. Here I was an honorably discharged iraq army war veteran with no criminal record, except for a minor in possesion of alcohol from 15 years ago, in handcuffs on my way to a place i didnt belong.I wasnt even out of jail twenty four hours and her step dad starts harrassing me at 3 o clock in the morning and just kept sending me text message after text message. I even called the police to see if i could have him picked up for harassment. They said the judge made it clear for me to not contact him but there isnt anything stopping him from texting or calling me. what kind of bs is that?

Not only did i feel the arrest was done without sufficient evidence, while sitting in the back of the squad car as the officer began his report, i was reading the report and noticed that the officer was falsifying information and saying that i did stuff that never happened. I was also never read my miranda rights and he also had bad spelling and punctuation. When I called the officer on it, he became very agitated and started yelling at me that he had a degree in literature and a minor in english and also threatened me by saying if you want to see someone get pissed off ill pull this car over and show you how pissed off i can get and you want to sit here and tell me you arent a criminal well i ll treat you like a criminal , there was a few f words in there that a left out. No actually alot. I went to jail about 2pm on a friday and i was let out at 8 pm on my own recognisance because i had no priors and i didnt have to post bail.

So the state is pressing charges which is misdemeanor assault against a household family member. I dont care if the charges stick it s a misdemeanor, but i would like to see if i could sue the step dad for fasifying a police report, emossional anguish, lawyers fees, and slander. Yes i found out that not only did her step dad lie to the police about what happened he also went and told all the family and my mom and dad a very different story than what actually happened and he got a hold of my cell phone found my best mans number and called him telling him a completely diff story then what happened. He also tried to befriend my best friend and turn him against me. My friend laughed at him and told him not to ever call again and to leave he his wife and his baby alone or deal with a shattered jaw and if he ever came near his house he would get a desert eagle .50 cal right through his sternum then her step dad wouldnt have to worry about his two terminal illnesses. We had to move out of the apartment and get another one losing a month of rent and a 300 dollar deposit. I would aslo like to sue him for lawyers fees and the cost of having to get another apartment. I just dont know what happened to our justice system and why innocent people are thrown into a whirlwind nightmare with the law. I also told the police that her step dad is a convicted felon that posseses firearms and sells his prescription drugs illegally. The officers response "well you can t turn him into us for that stuff just cause you got arrested and you are mad at him". Meanwhile next to one of our major highways there is a bilboard that reads, if you know someone selling their prescription pills or contributing to illegal activity, call 242-COPS to make an anonymous phone call. Isnt there anyway that the officer can be held responsible for overlooking evidence and not making an arrest. I dont care if i have a reason to get her step dad arrested or not he s breaking the law by having guns as a convicted felon and selling prescription drugs illegally.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

cyjeff

Talk to you attorney. You need one.

Oh, and stop all the threatening "I got a desert eagle and going to put a round in your sternum" crap.

Your entire post is just who is making an empty threat at whom. Just embarrassing.

Call the police, make a report about your step dad.

good luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This is absoulutely ridiculous. My fiance and I moved into an apartment complex where her aunt and uncle some cousins and her mom and step dad lived. Mistake I know. My fiance's step dad is a convicted sex offender with a 2nd degree assault charge and false imprisonment along with a few charges for writing bad checks. He claims to be dying of two terminal diseases one is called wegener s disease and i dont know the other. At the end of this past march, we borrowed an air mattress from her step dad and mother because we had a guest stay the night. A couple days had passed and I didnt have time to fold up the mattress and return it. A few days later, my best man and I went to go get fitted for our tuxedos. My fiance's step dad expressed his dissapointment in not being invited to come with us. My best man already told me he didnt like her step dad he could tell there was something about him that didnt sit well with him and he had no desire to have him come along. I had explained this to the step dad many times and he is soo pushy and thick headed he does not just let things be.

At the earlier start of our relationship, I moved in with my fiancee and her mom n step dad. I found my fiances step dad a 6ft 265 lbs bully full of hot air, to come off very pushy and he kept threatening me telling me stuff like if you ever lay a hand on her i ll put a bullet between your eyes and i know people who will break knee caps for my prescription pills. i assured him i am not a man who beats on women. I train and compete in martial arts i get in there and fight men and i kick ass and get my ass kicked so i have no reason to beat on a woman. I also saw that he was very verbally abusive to my fiance and her mother always yelling and screaming and making empty threats. I decided to remove my fiancee from the environment and we talked to my parents about moving in. After a week or so of being at my family's house, her step dad finds my dads accounting firm in the phone book and shows up to my dads office without an appointment and got upset when my dad shunned him away and assured my fiancee s mother that she was at a safe home.

Well due to the medication that her step dad takes he claims the phetonal patch makes him mean and abusive. ON this particular day in march however, he asked the day after we tried on our tuxedos if we could return the air mattress. The following day, I called and left him a message and even sent him a text message asking him when he would be around so i could return it. He never answered my text or returned my phone call. A day after i called and sent him text messages, my fiancee received a phone call from her step dad and he left us a message with a few choice words and a bunch of yelling and screaming. My fiancee got out of bed and said im just going to take it to him right now and I said no I dont want you to he is just going yell at you to start a fight. So I took the air mattress and threw it out in front of our apartment and texted him back if you want your air mattress you can come and get it from outside. Well he came over yelling and screaming throwing a fit and making a huge scene causing all the tenants to come out of the apartment. While on his way he was yelling at me threatening to kick the **** out of me and put a bullet between my eyes so i came outside in front of my apartment on the balconey and told him i was tired of the threats and if he s goin to do it just do it quit threatening me and do it. Well he took a swing at me and I bobbed my head back and he missed me then he took another swing at me and hit me in the shoulder then he pushed me through the neighbors window. The police were called out they asked me what happened in one room then asked my fiancee in another room what happened. The officer came back and said ok im getting pretty much the same explanation from both of you. They went to go talk to her step dad and he pulled the im terminally ill card and played the victim well the police came back and arrested me. Their justification was that it was a domestic violence call and someone has to go to jail. Here I was an honorably discharged iraq army war veteran with no criminal record, except for a minor in possesion of alcohol from 15 years ago, in handcuffs on my way to a place i didnt belong.I wasnt even out of jail twenty four hours and her step dad starts harrassing me at 3 o clock in the morning and just kept sending me text message after text message. I even called the police to see if i could have him picked up for harassment. They said the judge made it clear for me to not contact him but there isnt anything stopping him from texting or calling me. what kind of bs is that?

Not only did i feel the arrest was done without sufficient evidence, while sitting in the back of the squad car as the officer began his report, i was reading the report and noticed that the officer was falsifying information and saying that i did stuff that never happened. I was also never read my miranda rights and he also had bad spelling and punctuation. When I called the officer on it, he became very agitated and started yelling at me that he had a degree in literature and a minor in english and also threatened me by saying if you want to see someone get pissed off ill pull this car over and show you how pissed off i can get and you want to sit here and tell me you arent a criminal well i ll treat you like a criminal , there was a few f words in there that a left out. No actually alot. I went to jail about 2pm on a friday and i was let out at 8 pm on my own recognisance because i had no priors and i didnt have to post bail.

So the state is pressing charges which is misdemeanor assault against a household family member. I dont care if the charges stick it s a misdemeanor, but i would like to see if i could sue the step dad for fasifying a police report, emossional anguish, lawyers fees, and slander. Yes i found out that not only did her step dad lie to the police about what happened he also went and told all the family and my mom and dad a very different story than what actually happened and he got a hold of my cell phone found my best mans number and called him telling him a completely diff story then what happened. He also tried to befriend my best friend and turn him against me. My friend laughed at him and told him not to ever call again and to leave he his wife and his baby alone or deal with a shattered jaw and if he ever came near his house he would get a desert eagle .50 cal right through his sternum then her step dad wouldnt have to worry about his two terminal illnesses. We had to move out of the apartment and get another one losing a month of rent and a 300 dollar deposit. I would aslo like to sue him for lawyers fees and the cost of having to get another apartment. I just dont know what happened to our justice system and why innocent people are thrown into a whirlwind nightmare with the law. I also told the police that her step dad is a convicted felon that posseses firearms and sells his prescription drugs illegally. The officers response "well you can t turn him into us for that stuff just cause you got arrested and you are mad at him". Meanwhile next to one of our major highways there is a bilboard that reads, if you know someone selling their prescription pills or contributing to illegal activity, call 242-COPS to make an anonymous phone call. Isnt there anyway that the officer can be held responsible for overlooking evidence and not making an arrest. I dont care if i have a reason to get her step dad arrested or not he s breaking the law by having guns as a convicted felon and selling prescription drugs illegally.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Geez - talk about drama. It could be a made-for-TV movie! Have you tried selling it to Lifetime?

Oh and... don't start complaining about other people's grammar and spelling (i.e. the officer's) until you fix your own. :rolleyes:

Mustanghtch77

Learn to read closer instead of being so judgemental

Ok well first of all sorry for rushing in writing this post, so I didnt take the time to use correct punctuation on the internet wow big deal. That is besides the point. My point was that it is comforting to know that we have law enforcement officers that can not spell and write police reports correctly when they have people 's lives in their hands. I know it s not hard for the average joe to make it through the police academy. Most police officers here are people that couldnt make it in the military and were thrown out after the first few phases during basic training because they couldnt handle it. So they come back from the military after failing and become a cop, because they never got to serve as a real soldier. I saw it many times throughout my military career.

I have recently returned to college to finish my degree and I took a writing class and actually got an A on all my papers and on the final, so just cause someone doesnt take the time to use proper punctuation on a post does not mean they can not spell or don't have decent grammar. Second of all im 32 so no kid drama here. Since the incident, I have stayed away from the family and if you read more closely he is not my step dad and even after we get married I would still not consider him to be any part of my family. My fiancee also dislikes her step dad very much, because she feels that everything was fine until he came into her mother's life and spent all her mom's money causing them to lose the house her mom had saved up for and having to move into a dingy trailer and live like trailer trash. I also called the police to file a report about the threats and they advised me that it wouldnt do anything and they cant do anything to him until he actually does something.

As far as juvenile threats go, my friend is trying to live a peaceful life with his wife and his new baby without any problems and he doesnt want this man coming anywhere near him or his family. The desert eagle comment from my friend was due to the fact this man is a convicted felon and carries shotguns and pulls them out to threaten people. I was just stating the fact that my fiancee's step dad is the type of person that has to be told time and time again that he is overstepping his boundaries and my friend just made the point that it wouldnt be a good idea for this man to come over to his house or he would do what is necessary to protect himself and his family at any cost and yes we have the make my day law in New Mexico.

My fiancee' s step dad is the type of person that will show up to someone 's house uninvited and force himself on people that want nothing to do with him. He just feels like he has the right to overstep the boundaries that people have and push it to the next level of making other people feel very uncomfortable and it gets to the point where he starts stalking people. So if you people learn how to read and comprehend instead of being so quick to be judgemental and learn to understand the point of what people write instead of knitpicking at grammar on an internet post. Remember those little reading comprehensive tests the school would make us take. You have to read a paragraph then answer questions about what the main points of the paragraph are. Otherwise maybe you all need my baby can read so you can learn to understand the point of what people are saying.

If I was a police officer I would certainly take my time to write a police report truthfully and correct. So ya I can complain about a police officer not using correct punctuation and grammar thank you very much.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I could never wade through that post. WAY too long. Kudos to those who attempted to help, only to have the OP get all snide with you.

Silverplum

For quoting purposes only.

Ok well first of all sorry for rushing in writing this post, so I didnt take the time to use correct punctuation on the internet wow big deal. That is besides the point. My point was that it is comforting to know that we have law enforcement officers that can not spell and write police reports correctly when they have people 's lives in their hands. I know it s not hard for the average joe to make it through the police academy. Most police officers here are people that couldnt make it in the military and were thrown out after the first few phases during basic training because they couldnt handle it. So they come back from the military after failing and become a cop, because they never got to serve as a real soldier. I saw it many times throughout my military career.

I have recently returned to college to finish my degree and I took a writing class and actually got an A on all my papers and on the final, so just cause someone doesnt take the time to use proper punctuation on a post does not mean they can not spell or don't have decent grammar. Second of all im 32 so no kid drama here. Since the incident, I have stayed away from the family and if you read more closely he is not my step dad and even after we get married I would still not consider him to be any part of my family. My fiancee also dislikes her step dad very much, because she feels that everything was fine until he came into her mother's life and spent all her mom's money causing them to lose the house her mom had saved up for and having to move into a dingy trailer and live like trailer trash. I also called the police to file a report about the threats and they advised me that it wouldnt do anything and they cant do anything to him until he actually does something.

As far as juvenile threats go, my friend is trying to live a peaceful life with his wife and his new baby without any problems and he doesnt want this man coming anywhere near him or his family. The desert eagle comment from my friend was due to the fact this man is a convicted felon and carries shotguns and pulls them out to threaten people. I was just stating the fact that my fiancee's step dad is the type of person that has to be told time and time again that he is overstepping his boundaries and my friend just made the point that it wouldnt be a good idea for this man to come over to his house or he would do what is necessary to protect himself and his family at any cost and yes we have the make my day law in New Mexico.

My fiancee' s step dad is the type of person that will show up to someone 's house uninvited and force himself on people that want nothing to do with him. He just feels like he has the right to overstep the boundaries that people have and push it to the next level of making other people feel very uncomfortable and it gets to the point where he starts stalking people. So if you people learn how to read and comprehend instead of being so quick to be judgemental and learn to understand the point of what people write instead of knitpicking at grammar on an internet post. Remember those little reading comprehensive tests the school would make us take. You have to read a paragraph then answer questions about what the main points of the paragraph are. Otherwise maybe you all need my baby can read so you can learn to understand the point of what people are saying.

If I was a police officer I would certainly take my time to write a police report truthfully and correct. So ya I can complain about a police officer not using correct punctuation and grammar thank you very much.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
*Sigh*

OP, neither you nor your shack up honey's stepdad are choir boys.

And yeah, it really is true that there is a mandatory arrest law in some places. On account that some DV victims refuse to press charges. So yeah, it sucks if you weren't the one throwing the punches but get arrested, but the only LEGAL advice is to get a lawyer.

Your friend with the threats doing anyone any favors.

As far as your allegations about stepdad's texts, etc.: keep a record, but don't respond. That means let the phone ring and go to voice mail. And yes, that's LEGAL advice: do not respond or reply to any form of communication that you receive from a person who is the alleged victim of a DV incident in which you are an alleged aggressor.

Advice for the future:
(1) Minimize communications with people who you believe violate "boundaries". A more appropriate reaction in the mattress incident would have been to deflate it, package it appropriately, and return it with a very polite note to the stepdad thanking him for the loan and apologizing profusely for any inconvenience caused by the delay in returning it.
(2) Do not move in with chicks before marrying them. And be overly polite to their relatives even if you think they are jerks.

... we borrowed an air mattress from her step dad and mother ...he asked ... if we could return the air mattress ...So I took the air mattress and threw it out in front of our apartment and texted him back if you want your air mattress you can come and get it from outside.

Well he came over yelling and screaming throwing a fit and making a huge scene...threatening...he took a... swing at me and hit me... then he pushed me through the neighbors window.

The police were called out...and arrested me. Their justification was that it was a domestic violence call and someone has to go to jail.
There. That's much better.

And, did you have a question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">