• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When Can Your Child Choose Where to Live?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akshara3000

I live in NY but my child resides in CT. In NY I believe that once a child reaches the age of 14, they can choose with which parent they would like to live with, regardless of what the courts say, so long as the environment is a healthy, stable and productive one. Is there any similar law in CT and if so where might I find more info about that?

Also do motor vehicle warrants ever expire in CT and if not, can they have me arrested in NY for a warrant issued in CT?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
akshara3000 said:
In NY I believe that once a child reaches the age of 14, they can choose with which parent they would like to live with, regardless of what the courts say, so long as the environment is a healthy, stable and productive one. Is there any similar law in CT and if so where might I find more info about that?
Well, you believe wrong. Only one state allows the child to choose which parent to live with, and that is GA. In all other states, including NY and CT, a judge MAY listen to the child's wishes and give them some amount of weight, but the child does not choose - the judge does.

alnsch123

Yes I have the same problem. I am 14 and I live in MI. I dont ever want to see my dad again. I am on the same boat. I think I have to option to decide weither I want to live with my abusive dad(noway) or wiht my loving caring mom. I dont understand why the courts would even think of putting me back with my dad who abused me. I am 14 and I think I am smart enough to say i am not ever going back. I understand where u are comming from. I want the same thing. I am trying to find a way around the system or something. If you can tell me. or if you have any ideas on this tell me. Laura

VeronicaGia

akshara3000 said:
I live in NY but my child resides in CT. In NY I believe that once a child reaches the age of 14, they can choose with which parent they would like to live with, regardless of what the courts say, so long as the environment is a healthy, stable and productive one. Is there any similar law in CT and if so where might I find more info about that?

Also do motor vehicle warrants ever expire in CT and if not, can they have me arrested in NY for a warrant issued in CT?
So you think court orders are only for show? A court order superceds wants and wishes. If the court order says child lives with parent A, then that is where the child lives unless parent B wants to go to jail.

VeronicaGia

stealth2 said:
Well, you believe wrong. Only one state allows the child to choose which parent to live with, and that is GA. In all other states, including NY and CT, a judge MAY listen to the child's wishes and give them some amount of weight, but the child does not choose - the judge does.
And even then, it has to be court ordered.

akshara3000

No, I understand I would have to go through the courts for them to take into consideration that my daughter might rather live with me when she becomes old enough to understand reasoning for making that choice for herself. Her mother is totally unfit to parent, and is providing my child a foundation that she will ultimately crumble upon when she becomes older. Not only in my opinion, department of child and family services in CT as well, and I hope to work more closely with them to correct the situation through the courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">