• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife mom has an order of protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfgarner4

Tennessee My pregnant wife is due at the beginning of the year and her mom said she will be at the hospital when she is in labor. I will also be there since its my wife and my daughter that being born. What can her mom say or do that could put me up for jail time. The whole order is based on lies and wasn't true. She told the court that she was in fear of her life that i was going to hurt her or her grandchildren.
Should i let her be there or have my wife say no to her mother

Proserpina

Tennessee My pregnant wife is due at the beginning of the year and her mom said she will be at the hospital when she is in labor. I will also be there since its my wife and my daughter that being born. What can her mom say or do that could put me up for jail time. The whole order is based on lies and wasn't true. She told the court that she was in fear of her life that i was going to hurt her or her grandchildren.
Not your decision. At all. Ever. Even if.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If your wife's mom is there, then you can't be there. If your wife doesn't want her there, then your wife needs to make that clear to the hospital. It's really out of your hands...

LdiJ

can her mom call the cops and tell them she has an order of protection out on me and have me locked up
If you violate the order yes. If she shows up where you already are and have every right to be, then its less likely that the police would arrest you. The simple way to make sure that doesn't happen, is for you and your wife to keep quiet about the baby being born until you are home from the hospital. However, again, your wife would have to instruct the hospital not to give out any information to anyone who contacts them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
can i call the law if she came
Let's run this through the old brain-game...

You call the cops because she's there. Cops come. She says "I have an order of protection, he's not supposed to be within (xxx) feet of me." Cops ask her to leave, she says "no". Cops ask you to leave, you say "no". Who's going to jail?

Seriously, tell your wife to tell her mom to stay away. If she won't, then you may want to stay away.

LdiJ

Dad, please answer a couple of questions....

Are you and your wife still together?
Are you and your wife on the same page with you being there rather than her mother?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you have a problem.

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then your wife needs to make it clear to her mother that she is not welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">