• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried and confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quickquestion2

I broke up with a girlfriend and to get back at me she called the cops with a domestic abuse complaint. The complaint was unfounded, i wasn't arrested, but i was told there would be a complaint on my record. How is this going to effect job prospects and what can i do? This is all in New Jersey. When people were questioned they all sided with me saying I did nothing wrong.

OHRoadwarrior

There will be a record of the call and investigation. Local police would have that to reference in the future if your name came up. It should not affect you at all as you were never arrested, ie no arrest record, and charges were never filed, ie no charges.

quickquestion2

There will be a record of the call and investigation. Local police would have that to reference in the future if your name came up. It should not affect you at all as you were never arrested, ie no arrest record, and charges were never filed, ie no charges.
The thing is; when I looked at the police report; they did not document ANYTHING I said while questioning me. The school sat in with it though and did document everything. I feel that it is not being handled well. I am getting no information; its been a couple months it's stressing me out; yet every single person that was possibly involved all said i did nothing. Am I overworrying because I am stressing out about my future career for no reason?

I apologize if thats the case. I have never once gotten in any type of legal trouble before in my life save a speeding ticket. So all of this is new to me.

And thank you very much

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

As long as you are not hoping for a career as a social services worker or police officer I see nothing that could even indirectly affect you.

quickquestion2

As long as you are not hoping for a career as a social services worker or police officer I see nothing that could even indirectly affect you.
Information Security, majoring in CS. Do you recommend contacting a Lawyer for a free consultation to try and have this removed since the police department and school are trying to sweep it under the bus? The whole situation seems very weird, since no ones giving information after a couple months, and I don't want to risk my future over this.

davew128

Good lord. The ex's phone call is likely public record. If the police considered her complaint unfounded, MOVE ON. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">