• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1 count poss. of drug paraphernalia/class 6 felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Randolphmg

Here is a summary of my problem.(Arizona)

Charge: 1 count Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. A class 6 felony.
The Paraphernalia: 2 glass bongs with marijuana resin in them.
Previous charges: Clean slate.
Profession: Student/Part-time work.
My Question: Do I need a lawyer? I am a poor student with no money. These criminal lawyers want from $2000-$9800 to represent me. With such a simple overblown case, can I represent myself? I live in South Florida so flying to Arizona isn't possible for me. Can I file for some sort of deferment or something? I would like to speak with my prosecutors about my absurd charge. But this would be telephonically.

My Story:
I drove from S. FL to N. California. Found no work so in a month I drove back. Heading east on I-40 through Arizona A trooper pulls me over for having my windows tint to dark. You can see my face right through it but still he was able to test it apparently. It was to dark in both Arizona and Florida states. He then said I was acting nervous and asked for me to step out of the vehicle. I said that being nervous is my nature and that it doesn't mean anything. He then asked if he could search my car. I said I would prefer not. He then called the search dogs but once I knew they were coming I consented to my search. I told him that I only had two glass bongs and NO marijuana. He found them and took them. Said I was cooperative and that I should be receiving a letter in the mail about this. Well I did and he charged me with a class 6 felony for possession of drug paraphernalia. Simply two bongs!!! Now I stuck and feel helpless. I would appreciate any legal advice one can give me. Many thanks!

FlyingRon

Felonies are not something to be taken likely. You may consider things to be overblown, but you appear to be guilty and nothing seems improper as far as the police conduct is concerned. A prosecutor will generally NOT speak to a defendant directly.

If you are indigent and unable (rather than unwilling) to pay for a lawyer you can ask for a public defender. You most likely will need to go back to Arizona for your case or a warrant will be issued.

zero315

If you can't afford one apply for a public defender, remember they are real attorneys and are usually quite experienced since all they deal with is criminal defense. Your chances of getting one are pretty good since the sentence holds a possibility of jail time. The DA will not talk to you on felony charges unless you choose to represent yourself (NOT A GOOD IDEA) never represent yourself EVER!!!!!!!!

What your need to do is search around on google for the public defenders office for the area in which the court is. Find their number and call to learn how to apply. Or you can go to your arraignment and before pleading, (hold off on your not guilty plea) and ask to be appointed a public defender.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">