• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1 count of possession and 1 count of paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarander

What is the name of your state? Kansas

i got charged for the title of this thread. i am 19 years old and this is my first offense. we were all very cooperative and polite to the police who caught us and one of them told me that the MAX was $1000 and 30 days in jail, which i would not get for a first offense. however, when looking online i've seen $2500 as a fine for one joint. i was caught holding and smoking a small pipe filled with marijuana. i am a college student with a good gpa and a job...i don't know if that would make a difference. am i still eligible for diversion even though i'm a legal adult? what should i expect at court? do i need to get a lawyer? won't one be provided for me if i cannot afford it?

HomeGuru

sarander said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

i got charged for the title of this thread. i am 19 years old and this is my first offense. we were all very cooperative and polite to the police who caught us and one of them told me that the MAX was $1000 and 30 days in jail, which i would not get for a first offense. however, when looking online i've seen $2500 as a fine for one joint. i was caught holding and smoking a small pipe filled with marijuana. i am a college student with a good gpa and a job...i don't know if that would make a difference

**A: no it won't make a difference. The last time I looked, there was no waiver for lesser charges if the criminal has a good gpa and a job. Anyway, that would highly discriminate against other drug users and losers who do not have a good gpa and a job.

. am i still eligible for diversion even though i'm a legal adult?

**A: no. You must pay the price.
what should i expect at court? do i need to get a lawyer?

**A: get a good lawyer.

won't one be provided for me if i cannot afford it?

**A: yes.

S

sarander

ok well the liuetenant they called in told told me that i may be eligible for diversion if it was my first offense...is he wrong?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">