• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 y/o being charged with CDS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notadelinquent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was at the top of the parking garage for the local mall, in my car with several of my acquaintances, when a mall security guard knocked on the window and asked if we had been smoking marijuana. He detained us until the county police arrived. The county police officers told us to step out of the car. I closed and locked the doors, and told the officer upon questioning that I did not consent to any unwarranted searches. The officer handcuffed me and took my keys, saying that the odor of marijuana is enough reasonable cause for a unwarranted search.

A pipe was found in my pocket, alongside a very small amount of cannabis. My two acquaintances, both being over 18, were arrested and spent the night in jail. My parents were called to pick me up.

Upon a further search of the car, the officer found 55 Ritalin pills, small baggies, a small bag of marijuana, and an empty bottle of methadone. These substances were in a bag that one of my acquaintances had left in the car before stepping out.. I was told that I was going to be charged with a felony.

I was told that, for this incident, I would receive a letter in the mail in two weeks. What should I do, and what will happen to me?

cyjeff

The same people frequent the same sites.

You are going to get the same answer... which is ... you need an attorney... your "friend" threw you under the bus and you have a world of hurt ahead.

However, we cannot help you unless you post the number of the statutes under which you are charged....

notadelinquent

The three of us are being charged with felony intent to distribute. I have already changed my number and I plan to cut off all contact with those involved. I was not arrested; I was only handcuffed and released to my parents upon their arrival.

I think that they are going to pin all the drugs on my acquiantences, since both of them already have prior drug charges whereas I have no priors aside from a tobacco violation for which I was released at intake.

Would an assistant public defender be a suitable lawyer for this case? Will i need a lawyer, since I'm only in the juvenile court system? What actions should i take?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">