• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old son got marijuana charge less 1 oz in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RCMAN

He got caught in Georgia (Jackson County) if that matters and was charged with possession less than one ounce also speeding.This is his first offense and I'm trying to get all the info I can that I need to do to help him now and try to avoid any jail time as he's a senior still in school. Was told to go ahead and enter him in mental health/drug abuse program for that county that way he is in their system.When I go to court get a court appointed defender but don't know if we can due to our income UNLESS it is his income that will be considered(?).

Was told also by another person (in law enforcement) same thing but instead try and get it transferred to Superior Court instead of Municipal Court as they can talk to the judge to help...but whats the difference between the 2 courts and how would I get it transferred to Superior Court,Do you just ask?

Would it be in my/his best interest to just go ahead and hire a lawyer now and let him handle it? Any info anyone else can give me will be very much appreciated! Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He got caught in Georgia (Jackson County) if that matters and was charged with possession less than one ounce also speeding.This is his first offense and I'm trying to get all the info I can that I need to do to help him now and try to avoid any jail time as he's a senior still in school. Was told to go ahead and enter him in mental health/drug abuse program for that county that way he is in their system.When I go to court get a court appointed defender but don't know if we can due to our income UNLESS it is his income that will be considered(?).

Was told also by another person (in law enforcement) same thing but instead try and get it transferred to Superior Court instead of Municipal Court as they can talk to the judge to help...but whats the difference between the 2 courts and how would I get it transferred to Superior Court,Do you just ask?

Would it be in my/his best interest to just go ahead and hire a lawyer now and let him handle it? Any info anyone else can give me will be very much appreciated! Thanks
QUIT. You shouldn't be doing anything. Hire an attorney. Why isn't he appearing in JUVENILE court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">