• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offence for possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladygreys

Arkansas

I am from TN, but was charged with misdemeanor possession and parafinalia for one rolled up marijuana joint on my way home from vacation. I don't even smoke weed, it wasn't even mine, but i was driving my own vehicle and the person in the car with me had it on them. :confused:

This is my first offence, and i attend a christian school funded by my corporate job. i have court late next month, and i really need to get this charge swept off of my record or i will loose both soon. i have no idea how much the fine is going to be, and if i can take a "diversion" so my employer never finds out.

What can I do, what should i expect, and can i get this swept under the rug quickly?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Yes a deferral is possible with at least a year of probation and possible drug treatment. You should find a lawyer.
It's not going to be "swept under the rug." You committed two criminal acts. If you end up convicted on them you risk jail time and fines. Oh and by the way, 6 months drivers license suspension.

ladygreys

Wow.. that's really harsh for a first offince.
Jail time AND drivers license suspension? I know that if you plead guilty and use a diversion in TN then it is somewhat "swept under the rug"
I don't think it's that rough in TN just for a joint, but then again.. I have read that Arkansas is much harder on a marijuana possession than Tennessee is.

Thanks for the help. Anyone else?

ladygreys

another thought..

my mother told me that i got a lawyer, i may be able to get the charges thrown out over illegal search.

the joint that the officer found in my car was in a container in a bag, and his probable cause for searching my vehicle was "it smelled very strongly like marijuana when i rolled down the window" BUT, the joint had not been lit, we had not smoked anything but cigarettes in the car, and he confinscated the container when he took it as evidence.. therefore, how could he have smelled it?

my mother said she was under the impression that he just bullied us into letting him search my car.. could a lawyer get these charges thrown out for that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">