• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense marijuana possession in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kunzg78

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My brother was caught at work while on break smoking marijuana outside behind a shed. The cop did not find the paraphanalia, but did find approx. 2 grams of marijuana in my brother's pocket. He was told by the cop that he'd be recieving something from the municipal court for a court date and also told him that he would only get a fine. Is this true? i read the PA marijuana laws and says the fine is $500 for under 30g. What's the best advice for when he goes into court for this? is there any way to get the case dropped or is there anything he could do to lessen the fine/charges? any advice or help would be appreciated.

S

spacecat

He could also face thirty days incarceration so he should consult an attorney.

K

Kunzg78

Oh, i should also mention that he was not arrested when this went down. the cop told him that he wouldn't face any jail time.

R

ross1205

My brother was arrested for possession of marijuana in PA. For the first offense he had to pay a $300 fine and was placed on probation for one year. Make sure your brother follows his probation. A second offense is brutual. If he has even one "hot piss test" the probation officers will immediately take him to his house and search the house. For a second offense, he is looking at a huge fine ($5,000) and jail time (up to one year).

There is a very informational web site www.norml.org that lists the typical punishment by state. NORML - The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

There are 11 states that have decriminalized marijuana - this means that the punishment for small time marijuana offenders face only a small fine and no jail time. These 11 states realize that it costs the taxpayers loads of money to house an inmate. The jails are becoming filled with small time personal marijuana users. NORML supports the removal of all penalties for the private possession and responsible use of marijuana by adults. (Unfortunately, Pennsylvania isn't one of them.)

Marijuana is the third most popular recreational drug in America (behind only alcohol and tobacco), and has been used by nearly 80 million Americans. "And at least one president".

I hope this helps ..... good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">