• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense paraphernalia, possession, speeding and violation charges..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Musician_Trip

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Good evening everyone.

I was recently charged with possession of Marijuana (seeds and stems), possession of paraphernalia, speeding (79 in a 55) and a violation (driving on an instruction permit without a passenger 21 or older).
The story is...
The night before the event took place, a friend of mine had marijuana on him, and he asked to smoke in my car. I didn't really mind, though I told him to clean up (which apparently he didn't.)
The next day, I was late for an odd job that I was supposed to do with a friend of mine. I was speeding, and a cop pulled me over. At first, he stated that all I had to do was call someone to come to the scene and drive the car home. Which, the officer wasn't going to take me to jail or anything due to the permit issue. At first, I thought that everything was okay, then, he asked to search the car. I accepted, not thinking that there was going to be anything in there. After the search, the officer said that he had found seeds and stems of marijuana, and a pack of rolling papers, proceeded to arrest me and take me to the station.
This is my first offense. I have never had any sorts of law troubles before, even in a juvenile record. If it helps with the situation, I am 18 years old.

Naturally, because I am extremely nervous, my question is what can I expect as punishment from this? A few friends that know the law rather well have told me that the worst they see me ending up with is possible house arrest/ a few days in jail, but, told me that I should expect probation.
Is that information correct or should I have more concern?
Thanks!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Kentucky - NORML

"Possession of less than eight ounces of marijuana is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $500. For subsequent offenses, the penalties increase to 1 - 5 years in jail and a fine of $1,000 - $10,000. Possession of eight ounces or more is considered possession with intent to sell and is charged as trafficking."

I would bet depending on the dick level of the justice system in your specific location, you can probobably expect a fine/community service. Next time dont be so careless, you live in a very weed unfriendly place. So be smart and make SURE to c get rid of the evidence.

dave33

At your age and given the situation, you should also be looking at what is most post conviction friendly. In other words find some way to not have this on your record. Maybe expungment or it's equivalent.Maybe some sort of diversion program or whatever they have in your state. I do not know about Kentucky law. just something you might want to look into.goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">