• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense poss. of cocaine and marijuna

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncgurl_0628

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Last Wed. my boyfriend was arrested for possession of cocaine under 1/2 once and poss. of marijuna. The officer came to the house he stays at and searched his friends house. He was the only person home and was charged with poss. of these drugs. He has nothing else on his record and has a bond of 25.000 dollars. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if he would have to serve jail time? probabtion? He has a court appointed lawyer. Will a court appointed lawyer request a bail hearing wear the bond may be reduced with the presence of character witenesses?

outonbail

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Last Wed. my boyfriend was arrested for possession of cocaine under 1/2 once and poss. of marijuna. The officer came to the house he stays at and searched his friends house.
Officer, as in one? Why would a police officer search the house he was staying in? If there was a search warrant issued by a judge, there would be more than one officer serving it. Did he give the officer permission to search?

He was the only person home and was charged with poss. of these drugs. He has nothing else on his record and has a bond of 25.000 dollars. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if he would have to serve jail time?
It's a possibility, in fact, your post reads as if he's already been serving time in jail, at least since the day he was arrested.

probabtion?
Yes, when he's finished doing however much time he's sentenced to, he will spend a couple years on probation as well. The judge can also sentence him to jail/prison time and suspend the sentence by placing him on probation instead. This usually includes community service, drug classes, AA meetings etc. Then if he screws up and breaks the terms of his probation, he would have to do the time which was originally suspended.

He has a court appointed lawyer. Will a court appointed lawyer request a bail hearing wear the bond may be reduced with the presence of character witenesses?
Your boyfriend can certainly ask his attorney to attempt this for him. The character witness will have almost no influence on the Judge's decision, if this witness is a family member of girlfriend. He would stand a better chance of having his bail reduced if he can show stability and strong ties to the community. Like owning a home and being employed by the same company for a long time. If he has ever had any failure to appears and/or warrants issued for missing court in the past, chances are, he's not going to have his bail reduced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">