• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense possession - disorderly persons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autumn_leaf

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was taken into custody and given tickets for two charges: possession of not only paraphernalia, but possession of under 50g of marijuana because of residue in the pipe. I was not found to have any marijuana besides the residue. I said it was for tobacco use so they are sending it to get tested.

They said I would probably be convicted of being a "disorderly person," which I believe is a misdemeanor, right?

I have a court date and I'm not sure the best route to take for minimal fines/charges.

If they find that there was marijuana in the pipe, should I plead guilty and say it was for marijuana, not tobacco, apologize and hope for the best?

Because it was my first offense...ever, what sort of fines/penalties would I be looking at?

Is it possible to offer to do community service instead of paying a fine, or would that get me into more trouble with the judge if I asked?

Do I have to worry because I smiled when they took my mugshot?

Thank you very much.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

JETX

There is no way that anyone on this forum can give you SPECIFIC legal advice on your charges without having the benefit of reviewing ALL the facts.
Get a good local defense attorney.

sxp4135

My daughter is in the same situation, not with residue, but possession of under 50g. From what I've learned, if you plead guilty, loss of driving privilege for 6mos is mandatory. You need to apply for a conditional discharge. See a lawyer, marijuana possession in NJ is no joke.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">