• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accessing appraisals from former employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Richard Marcoux

I quit a job of 17 years 2 years ago. I would like to obtain all 17 of my performance evaluations because they were so good. I want to use them in prospective job interviews. Do I have the right to simply call and request them or do I need to submit a request in writing using a specific legal form? It is important to me that I obtain these appraisals.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This will depend entirely upon your state law. Some states require that you be permitted to see and copy anything in your personnel file; some states leave it entirely up to the employer as to whether you can see anything in your personnel file; and there is just about anything in between; i.e. quite a few states will allow you to see what is in your file but it's up to the employer if you are allowed a copy. In addition, some states place a time limit on when you can request them, which you may have already exceeded. You have not indicated your state, so I'm afraid I can't help you further.

H

Humble Warrior

The "Privacy Act of 1974" requires that you be able to see,and obtain copy of anything with your SSAN in it. If your reports have your social security # in them,you have absolute right to them,if not refer to CBGs' answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">