• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ACOD question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daveyy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently received ACOD for possession of marijuana on 8/4/09. (even though i had no marijuana on me...but that's besides the point). This happened in Glen Cove city court.

Later that day, I was pulled over by a police officer and received 2 tickets for my window tints. I just need to get them removed and send in forms showing I got them removed...there is not even a fine and I do not need to show up in court. This also happened in Glen Cove.

Three days after that, I got yet another ticket (again in Glen Cove) for "non resident use of Morgan Park." I must appear in court on 9/15/09 to find out what the fine will be.

I have never been arrested. Will either of these affect my ACOD in any way? Will it matter that I will be appearing in front of the same judge? Also since I am 18, will I need a parent to come with me? When I went to court for the "possession of marijuana" ticket, the judge told me to come back next week with a parent, and that's when I got ACOD.

You Are Guilty

The fix-it ticket shouldn't impact the ACD, but there's no guarantees.

Non resident use of park sounds like a local ordinance. Do you have a code or statute number from that ticket? If its a criminal violation, it very well may cause the ACD to be voided (and in which case, you might want to hire a criminal lawyer).

Banned_Princess

As a frequent flier of ACOD in Suffolk county, I can say with a bit of conviction that none of the things you stated will effect your ACOD.

Basically anything you are arrested for, (more pot) *might* bring it back up. (was it a year? or more?) Tickets do not impact it at all.

I say Might, because I was accidentally arrested during another of my ACOD periods and it was never mentioned,

(separate charges)

but on the opposite of that my hubby had an ACOD and was arrested falsely, and the judge told him, he was lucky the arrest was in error or the acod would be brought back up again.

(a connected charge)

Daveyy

The fix-it ticket shouldn't impact the ACD, but there's no guarantees.

Non resident use of park sounds like a local ordinance. Do you have a code or statute number from that ticket? If its a criminal violation, it very well may cause the ACD to be voided (and in which case, you might want to hire a criminal lawyer).
The ticket says "To answer a charge in violation of.....Section 95 Subd 3" with "ordinance" checked off

Banned_Princess

Like I said, tickets and ordinances are not criminal, they are revenue.

No impact on your ACOD. (Adjournment in contemplation of dismissal) Didn't the judge explain the term to you? If you get in any trouble (criminal trouble) during your 6month, 1 year, 2 year, whatever, contemplation period, the charges can be brought up again. Not you will be convicted of it. its not probation, its a legal term for "your warning" Now be warned and don't get charged with any more criminal (misdemeanor/felony) matters.

And you are 18, you don't need your parents present.

Feel free to worry your little head off tho. you'll learn.

Daveyy

Thank you for your answer...Its kind of strange...Im trying to enlist in the Marines right now and my recruiter ran a background check on me and nothing came up. He said you cannot enlist while on ACOD, but since the police report came back clean, he said Im good to go. The judge said I am on it for 1 year but nothing was explained to me AT ALL. No paperwork or anything.

I also asked about a parent coming with me because the judge made me come back with a parent the following week when i went to court for the possession ticket and I am guessing its going to be the same judge again...

Banned_Princess

Being from the same area I know what you mean. none of my ACOD's were ever brought up again, and the records of thoes convictions are sealed.

You may be worrying for nothing. And the parent thing is unusual, but judges can really do whatever they want. Did a public defender get you the deal? or did DA just recomend it right off.? hmm. well anyway your conviction for marijuana is most likely sealed, (as is mine) and wont come up. If you go to the court clerks window they will print out a similar name report (your record) and see what is on it, what is sealed, and how long you have remaining on your ACOD.

Good luck :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">