• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advertising and/or selling paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macscards

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so forgive my ignorance. I am looking into selling glass art used for smoking legal substances. I can't afford a lawyer to get real legal advice. However, I am interested in knowing how legal this is. There are several shops that sell these same items, seemingly without any problems. I heard that customers can't use certain words when purchasing these items (like "bong, chillum, etc.)

Does anyone know what words to avoid, and any other legal info one should know before selling these?

Also, if selling online, what states should I avoid selling to at all (due to laws that restrict sale or advertising of ALL glass)?

Thanks,

macscards

Making glass art

I do not mean to insult. My intention with the statement quoted was to imply that I do not condone the use of the glass pieces that I would be selling for any illegal purposes.

I do not have the ability nor the equipment to manufacture such pieces; otherwise, I would make something useful. The pieces come from an overseas source.

If anyone knows the legalities of selling/advertising paraphernalia in Tennesee, please let me know.

Thanks.

las365

Ha ha, Some Random Guy, I was going to post the same thing last night.

OP, pipes used to smoke dope are pipes used to smoke dope, no matter how you try to imply that you don't condone their use for that. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

macscards

Why would you assume they are used for that purpose? Is that what you would use them for? I am not advertising them as such. In that case I would not sell my artwork to someone like you.

If someone uses a Pepsi can to smoke dope, does that mean that all Pepsi cans are considered paraphernalia and illegal? The answer is no. No one goes after Remington or the gun shops selling them every time their guns are misused for killing. Bic lighters are still available almost anywhere, but I bet someone somewhere at one time has used one in a manner that makes it classifiable as "drug paraphernalia".

In the case against Tommy Chong, he got the charged for glamorizing and advertising his items as instruments for inhaling drugs, which is against U.S. Title 21, Chapter 13, Subchapter I, Part D, Code 863.

The law itself says traditional and historical use is NOT the sole factor to be used when determining the legitimacy of the items being marketed. The items addressed aren't illegal unless they have been put to an illegal use.

Glass is inert, and will not pose any risk of inhaling oxides (as with metals), or combustion products other than the material being smoked (as with wood) Soda-lime Glass, or Borosilicate Glass (two common glass compositions) have very high thermal resistance, and so conduction from the heat source is minimal. The water has an important filter effect. A large part of carcinogens like tar are filtered by the water. In addition, the water cools the hot smoke and the protecting mucous membrane of the lungs will be less harmed.

But a wooden pipe which may cause more damage to one's health is legal to sell?

Ha ha, Some Random Guy, I was going to post the same thing last night.

OP, pipes used to smoke dope are pipes used to smoke dope, no matter how you try to imply that you don't condone their use for that. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">