• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Please !!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AParker08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I need some advice please. My ex-fiance recently got caught and charged with 4 felonies and 2 misdemeanor drug charges. I believe they are 2 counts of each of the following:

consiparcy/manufactring of cds-not marihuana
distrobution of cds-not marihuana
possesion of cds/paraphenellia

He was being watched by the Drug Task Force in MD. He got arrested with 2 ounces of cocaine and he also got arrested selling it to an undercover narcotics agent. He was noted twice selling to the undercover. The first time a half ounce and the second was with the 2 ounces. They gave him a bail of $50,000.00 which we went to a bail reducing hearing and the judge lowered it to $15,000.00. He has no prior record and we have two children who he is very active in their life. He also held down the same full-time job for the last four years. All which the judge took into consideration when lowering his bail. He is now out on bail. We are seeking a private attorney.

I don't know much about these kind of charges. Does anyone know what kind of time he might look at doing. He is 22 years old. No prior record, never been in trouble. They told him this carries 20-25 years. I doubt he will do that much time, right? Anything know anything that could be of any assistence?? Thanks in advance!!

zotech

I certainly understand your concern. I also reside in Maryland!

Typically in the state of Maryland, 2 ounces of cocaine is an A-1 Felony which used to carry 15 to life and 25 to life!

There was an amendment to this law known as "Correction Law Û803(1)(d) which was amended to allow any person serving an indeterminate sentence for an A-1 drug felony to earn "merit time allowance" against the minimum term of their sentence.

In other words, he may potentially qualify for a reduced sentence even if convicted based on this amendment.

This reduction in time is referred to as Merit time. They typically will reduce the minimum time by 1/3. Typically a case like this yields a minimum 8 years. With the Merit time, it would be reduced to 2 1/2 years.

In other words, his sentence could be reduced to 2 1/2 years.

There are a couple of prerequisites to qualify for merit time and for the judge to take it into consideration. Those include:

Earned a general equivalency diploma (GED)
Earned a vocational trade certificate after 6 months of vocational programming
Acquired an alcohol and substance abuse certificate (ASAT)

Hope this helps!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">