• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aiding a criminal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hrothgar

We live in northern New Jersey.

My wife's family contains an individual who skipped bail after being arrested for drug possession about 10 years ago in Delaware Couty, PA. The individual is also slightly disturbed.

Before now, we had never communicated with him and didn't know where he lived. He was rarely ever spoken of. However, when my mother-in-law came up to help my wife during her pregnancy we found out that the fugitive has been in touch with his parents all this time. We also found out that his parents (my inlaws) have been helping him all this time. We found this out because he started calling my mother-in-law at my home! When I realized who it was and told him to stop calling, he started harrassing my wife (his sister) and I at home and at work.

While I have no personal reservation about turning him in, I am concerned for my in-laws. Could you please answer 2 questions for me?

1) Am I legally liable (aka: can I legally get in trouble) because I know he is a fugitive and I know his whereabouts?

2) Will anything happen to my in-laws if I do?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">