• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alfred Doctrine & Ct Gun Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sonofkong

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ct

25 years ago I pleaded to the Alfred Doctrine to possession of a controlled substance. I was told this was a misdemeanor charge at the time. I also believe at the time there may have been a DEA & FBI file open
Since then I have been a model tax paying citizen. I do not have any other convictions that I feel apply to the CTgun law requirements. I am now a Gemologist/Jeweler and would like to purchase a hand gun for protection in my store. I have recently be approved for long arms weapons purchasing.

Is the Alfred Doctrine plea the same as a guilty conviction in the eyes of the Ct State and there gun laws?

Before I spend the money & time to take the pistol permit class I would like to know if I am qualified?

Is there a place I can call for a real definative answer?

The Wrtten references required in my town are not a problem.

If indeed there is a problem, can I get this charge legally expunged and how long does it take and what is the cost?

Here are the rules in question:

2. No person may obtain a Pistol Permit, Eligibility Certificate, or possess any handguns if they are less than 21 years of age, subject to a Protective or Restraining Order, or if they have been convicted of a felony, or convicted in Connecticut for any of the following misdemeanors:

Illegal possession of narcotics or other controlled substances - 21a-279(c)

Thank you for your Professional Consideration

SIN EATER

An Alfred plea (or a People's vs West, plea out west) is the same as a nolo contendere plea.
Basically, it stands for the proposition that 'I pled because it was in my best interest to plead. I don't plead 'guilty', I plead 'no contest'".

Result: You have a drug conviction; the feds will not allow you to have a gun in your possession ... google 'pardon' in your state.

FlyingRon

It's ALFORD not ALFRED for heavens sake. It's named after Henry Alford who in 1963 plead guilty (later going to the supreme court hence his name being used as a legal term) to second degree murder because he feared that he'd be convicted for first degree murder (and hence subject to the death penalty) while protesting his innocence.

It is quite NOT the same as nolo contendre. It's a guilty plea without admitting you did it (as in Alford's case).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">