• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I obligated to report roommate's drugs??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MauriS69

New roommate of 3 months ended up being a total pot-head who smokes weed and hashish day and night (not exagerating, he "needs" it to function normal, incredible tolerance). He hid his drug habit before moving in. I asked him to move out, and after a lot of trouble (on his part) he'll be moving out June 15th (30 day notice delivered).

I know is a strecht, but what happens if he gets busted and the cops come in the apt? Can I get in trouble since I know about his drugs? I am obligated to report it? I have made sure he keeps his drugs and paraphernalia in his room with the door shut.

I know is only 1 more month and I might just keep my mouth shut, I just want to know what could happen to ME. I don't care he does drugs, I just don't want them under my roof. And I'm sorry if I sound paranoid and sorry for the stupid question. Thanks.

This is in California

CdwJava

You are not legally obligated to report it, BUT, if the cops bust him guess who can also be charged with possession? Or, for operating a place where drugs are used?

YOU risk your own freedom. Is the next month worth that risk and a criminal record? (Oh, and possession can be charged as a felony ... and if he has enough for sales, you might not be eligible for diversion).

- Carl

MauriS69

Why did you give a 30 day? Isn't the notice requirement for illegal activity shorter?
Is it?? I hope so .... I know I can evict him for illegal activities, but can I evict him immediately??? 3 days? 10 days? immediately??

Any lawyer please let me know. This is in sunny California. Thanks

CdwJava

Only the landlord can "evict". Unless you own the property, you cannot begin the eviction process. Speak to the landlord.

In the meantime, MOVE OUT if he will not!

- Carl

MauriS69

Only the landlord can "evict". Unless you own the property, you cannot begin the eviction process. Speak to the landlord.

In the meantime, MOVE OUT if he will not!

- Carl
Thanks, Carl. I'm legally subletting with the owner's permission and according to my original lease. I thought that under those circumstances I'm considered the LL, right?? or wrong??

If right and If I'm the one responsible (to act as LL), can I evict him in 3 days, 10 days, 30 days, or immediately??

If wrong, then I'll talk to the owner.

Please advice. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

I thought you were subletting. That makes YOU the landlord. Someone familiar with the notification requirements for illegal drugs should provide a better answer. In the meantime, try the search engine above. I'm almost certain this topic has been addressed for your state fairly recently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">