• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I still in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Augy

CALIFORNIA

I was arrested for possession of marijuana in 1981, when I was stationed in San Diego with the Navy. I got shipped out and never did anything about it. Am I still in trouble? I'd like to be able to travel to CA with peace of mind. Thank you.

Antigone*

CALIFORNIA

I was arrested for possession of marijuana in 1981, when I was stationed in San Diego with the Navy. I got shipped out and never did anything about it. Am I still in trouble? I'd like to be able to travel to CA with peace of mind. Thank you.
There is most likely an outstanding warrant out for you.

Augy

Yikes! I was afraid of that.
Thanks for replying so quickly! Just wondering....are you an attorney?

LdiJ

CALIFORNIA

I am not sure that I completely agree with the other responses you received. Since you were in the Navy you certainly could have been found, and fairly easily. Do you remember how things went down the day/night you were arrested? Could you have been released back to the military without actual charges? Did the MPs pick you up from the local police?

CSO286

No. Sorry, I didn't. I didn't mean to break any rules. Will read. :)
I am sorry. I was being rather snarky.

You asked if Antigone was an attorney. Had you read the TOS, you would have learned that most of the volunteers are just people like you who either work in or have worked though the court system, or have more than a passing knowlege on one topic or another.

Isis1

OP, you CAN be in trouble, but you might not be.

what you can do is call the court house and request information on a possible failure to appear. see about the status that way.

Augy

I am sorry. I was being rather snarky.

You asked if Antigone was an attorney. Had you read the TOS, you would have learned that most of the volunteers are just people like you who either work in or have worked though the court system, or have more than a passing knowlege on one topic or another.
Oh. Feh...no worries. I'm admin of another forum and should have known to read the TOS anyway. Thanks for clarifying.

Augy

I am not sure that I completely agree with the other responses you received. Since you were in the Navy you certainly could have been found, and fairly easily. Do you remember how things went down the day/night you were arrested? Could you have been released back to the military without actual charges? Did the MPs pick you up from the local police?
Thanks for responding. I had just been relieved of duty the week before, so they had nothing to do with it. I had to drive to Ohio and couldn't make the court date....so it may be a failure to appear issue. I thought maybe I'd get a notice for that in the mail, but nothing was ever said or done. I called an attorney and he said, just go ahead and leave. Seriously.

Augy

what you can do is call the court house and request information on a possible failure to appear. see about the status that way.
I thought of that and thought twice, because they may say, "we have a warrant out on you," and find me and I'd be arrested. (That's what I meant by waking the sleeping dragon.) I may just do it or have. Friend do it on my behalf. Thanks!

Augy

By the way, that rude reply wasn't made by me. I'm new here, I have no bad blood between anybody.

Isis1

I thought of that and thought twice, because they may say, "we have a warrant out on you," and find me and I'd be arrested. (That's what I meant by waking the sleeping dragon.) I may just do it or have. Friend do it on my behalf. Thanks!
believe me....we have better things to do than hunt you down (as much fun as that might be :p)....you owe fees. and will owe that whether we catch you or not.

if you get pulled over, or arrested for any reason.....then they can hold you. until you pay your fines.

but we won't actively hunt for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">