• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any advice one can offer...I'll take it....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiptickerliss

What is the name of your state (South Carolina)

On 12/20/11 I was issued a ticket for simple possession. All I had on me was a one hitter. No marijuana. I was strong armed into turning that over after about an hour of him threatening me and doing what cops do best. The officer immediately knew the passenger I had in my car. Even though it has been about 9 years since he was last in connection with her. She went to school with his daughter at a religious school here in Charleston. My passenger at the time he knew her was best friends with his daughter up until she started getting ridiculed at school for being a lesbian.

Before he ever knew anything about me having a one hitter in my car. He was trying to say that we were back there doing something more than we were and immediately starts to tell me that he's going to write me a ticket for indecent exposure (even though both of us were fully clothed, because nothing like that was happening) He says that if he did write me a ticket for that, then I would have to register on the sex offenders list. Which is why I ended up turning myself in for what I did have on me.

My questions are she and I both feel like he was just trying to figure out something to get me for because he was trying to get at my passenger but had nothing on her. I particularly feel this simply because I have known people to have a lot more on them and it just gets taken and dumped and the officers tell them to move on about their way. Question 1 Can I file a complaint against the officer? Question 2 I don't have the money for a lawyer, and as much as I don't want this on my record for 3 years I feel I don't have much of a choice. Do I have to appear in court or can I just settle outside of it since I have already turned myself in and will be pleading guilty the day of, and since I won't have a lawyer...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (South Carolina)

On 12/20/11 I was issued a ticket for simple possession. All I had on me was a one hitter. No marijuana. I was strong armed into turning that over after about an hour of him threatening me and doing what cops do best. The officer immediately knew the passenger I had in my car. Even though it has been about 9 years since he was last in connection with her. She went to school with his daughter at a religious school here in Charleston. My passenger at the time he knew her was best friends with his daughter up until she started getting ridiculed at school for being a lesbian.

Before he ever knew anything about me having a one hitter in my car. He was trying to say that we were back there doing something more than we were and immediately starts to tell me that he's going to write me a ticket for indecent exposure (even though both of us were fully clothed, because nothing like that was happening) He says that if he did write me a ticket for that, then I would have to register on the sex offenders list. Which is why I ended up turning myself in for what I did have on me.

My questions are she and I both feel like he was just trying to figure out something to get me for because he was trying to get at my passenger but had nothing on her. I particularly feel this simply because I have known people to have a lot more on them and it just gets taken and dumped and the officers tell them to move on about their way. Question 1 Can I file a complaint against the officer? Question 2 I don't have the money for a lawyer, and as much as I don't want this on my record for 3 years I feel I don't have much of a choice. Do I have to appear in court or can I just settle outside of it since I have already turned myself in and will be pleading guilty the day of, and since I won't have a lawyer...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: your post is confusing due to the rambling.

whiptickerliss

I apologize for the rant, and that I made no sense. But I would really appreciate an honest answer. I can see how funny it is. But I am actually in the situation asking for your help. And not that it matters because I don't need to justify anything to any of you, but I haven't smoked since that night, and have been perfectly fine without it.

2nd I am a GIRL...hence my officer wanting to charge me indecent exposure. Because I was in a car with another girl. Whom he knew was a lesbian. Because she was best friends with his daughter at a christian academy up until news started circulating that she was a lesbian. Then he didn't allow his daughter to hang out with her anymore. I was where I was at in the first place. Because I was playing middle man and waiting for the person who I had green for. That was it. The cop approached my car. Shined his light on her, then to me and said that he could get me for indecent exposure. I asked how considering both of us were fully clothed and nowhere near each other. He never answers me. Just continues with that if he did write me up for that. That i would have to register as a sex offender. He points his light back into my friends face and says you don't remember me do you (and says her name) She says no and he goes into how she would know him. Knowing that I had the pot for my friend in the backseat. My main objective was to keep him from searching my car. The one way I was able to do that was just turning over the one hitter that I had. Which worked.

So my question is. Can I file a complaint against this officer? It seems like more of a personal attack to me. And even if that isn't possible is this an issue that can be resolved outside of court? I'm the one that turned myself in that night. I can't really fight it at this point.

Isis1

I apologize for the rant, and that I made no sense. But I would really appreciate an honest answer. I can see how funny it is. But I am actually in the situation asking for your help. And not that it matters because I don't need to justify anything to any of you, but I haven't smoked since that night, and have been perfectly fine without it.

2nd I am a GIRL...hence my officer wanting to charge me indecent exposure. Because I was in a car with another girl. Whom he knew was a lesbian. Because she was best friends with his daughter at a christian academy up until news started circulating that she was a lesbian. Then he didn't allow his daughter to hang out with her anymore. I was where I was at in the first place. Because I was playing middle man and waiting for the person who I had green for. That was it. The cop approached my car. Shined his light on her, then to me and said that he could get me for indecent exposure. I asked how considering both of us were fully clothed and nowhere near each other. He never answers me. Just continues with that if he did write me up for that. That i would have to register as a sex offender. He points his light back into my friends face and says you don't remember me do you (and says her name) She says no and he goes into how she would know him. Knowing that I had the pot for my friend in the backseat. My main objective was to keep him from searching my car. The one way I was able to do that was just turning over the one hitter that I had. Which worked.

So my question is. Can I file a complaint against this officer? It seems like more of a personal attack to me. And even if that isn't possible is this an issue that can be resolved outside of court? I'm the one that turned myself in that night. I can't really fight it at this point.
THANK YOU for clearing that up! makes better sense.

yes, you can file a complaint. you will never know the outcome of that complaint. it won't do anything for your charge since...tada! there were drugs found.

whiptickerliss

Thank you for your reply. :) Is this a matter that I have to go to court for, or can I just pay the fine and deal with it being on my record for the next 3 years?

whiptickerliss

Why are you being so rude. "drug user" You know absolutely nothing about me. I made a mistake. A mistake that I evidently learned from because I haven't touched it since that night. I never said that I didn't mess up. I know I have. And I will obviously be paying for my mistake. So please get off of your high horse as if you have never done anything wrong in your life. Just because certain things such as alcohol is legal doesn't mean you can't kill someone from using it.

The charge..although I don't know why I am bothering (because it's evident that your minds are made up about me) is for simple possession.

Isis1

Why are you being so rude. "drug user" You know absolutely nothing about me. I made a mistake. A mistake that I evidently learned from because I haven't touched it since that night. I never said that I didn't mess up. I know I have. And I will obviously be paying for my mistake. So please get off of your high horse as if you have never done anything wrong in your life. Just because certain things such as alcohol is legal doesn't mean you can't kill someone from using it.

The charge..although I don't know why I am bothering (because it's evident that your minds are made up about me) is for simple possession.
since you are not posting the exact citation....there's a reason i asked for it....

one, more or ALL of the following may apply....

Mandatory Driver's License Suspension
Risk of a Court ordered fine
Risk of a jail or prison sentence
Permanent Criminal Record
Loss of College Scholarship Opportunities

whiptickerliss

I'm sorry I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. Aside from me scanning my entire ticket and putting it on here...

I think I may have already received the answer I was looking for.

This one lawyer I just spoke with said that they no longer suspend your license in this type of case. The fine on the ticket is $565 dollars. I can either pay it outside of court and have to deal with it on my record for the next 3 years. Meaning yes I wouldn't be able to get a scholarship. Or I can go to court and try to appeal it. But since I turned myself in. I really don't see how I could appeal it. I won't serve any jail time for it he said because it's very minor, and the guy was probably just looking to have something to pin on me. Especially since he said that night that he would be "taking me to jail if it wasn't so late" After 3 years I can have it expunged from my record if not sooner.

The one thing that alarmed me as I read your story, is that the cop was questioning you for an hour before you confessed to what you had. I have a feeling that might be exaggeration, but if not, you should plead not guilty and fight the charge due to being detained for an unreasonable amount of time. Did you ever ask the officer if you were free to go before you admitted what you had?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">