• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona Possession charges Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigcat54

So, My friend and i were driving down the highway and we got pulled over for crossing a gore area and because of tint in my friends Chrysler 300.Now my friend and I live in a upper class area and we're good kids, besides smoking weed every once in a while. We both are going to college and i have a job and we both play sports. My friend who was driving was 17 and I'm 18. So the car smelled of weed and we had about a quad (1/4th of an oz.),a pipe, a grinder and some rolling papers. So we cooperated with the cop, and we told him where it was.The cop then called in another cop for back-up. He seemed cool for a cop but he's still a cop so that doesn't really change anything. It was under my seat unfortunately. So he took the items and then questioned us. We both said we were holding for our friend,which i do not know if he believed, but it seemed like it because he didn't say anything about driving under the influence and he let us drive away. We were high but the cop thought we weren't because our eyes were fine and we had smoked three hours before and the whole incident knocked us cold sober. So he didn't give us any court order for the weed but he did for the traffic violation. He didn't read us our rights before any questioning, and he just verbally said "i am charging you with possession" and that was the end of that. its been about a month and nothing has happened. Did he see we were good kids and just scared the **** out of us and let us go? or is he going to file something even though no formal citation was given?

CdwJava

So, My friend and i were driving down the highway and we got pulled over for crossing a gore area and because of tint in my friends Chrysler 300.
Okay ... so there was good cause for the stop.

Now my friend and I live in a upper class area and we're good kids, besides smoking weed every once in a while.
How affluent your parents might is not relevant. And, you may be "good kids" but you choose to break the law. So, let us keep that in mind.

We both are going to college and i have a job and we both play sports.
They do not drug test athletes where you live?

My friend who was driving was 17 and I'm 18. So the car smelled of weed and we had about a quad (1/4th of an oz.),a pipe, a grinder and some rolling papers.
Okay. Great reason to search the car.

We were high but the cop thought we weren't because our eyes were fine and we had smoked three hours before and the whole incident knocked us cold sober.
From a physiological standpoint, the incident could not have knocked you sober. You might have suddenly focused your attention, but if you were impaired (i.e. "buzzed" or "high") then that would not have changed when the cops contacted you.

its been about a month and nothing has happened. Did he see we were good kids and just scared the **** out of us and let us go? or is he going to file something even though no formal citation was given?
Sounds like you got lucky. Either the cop cut you a huge break that he probably never should have, or, he filed the matter and you may eventually hear from someone. You may not know for sure ... ever.

As the adult in this affair you could have potentially faced even more charges to include contributing to the delinquency of a minor or related charges.

Time to get clean and sober. You may have gotten lucky. Next time, you may not be so lucky ... and the next law enforcement contact could be when you are involved in a collision as a result of you or your pal's impairment.

If you want to get high, do it at home. Do not risk everyone else's lives.

bigcat54

Time to get clean and sober. You may have gotten lucky. Next time, you may not be so lucky ... and the next law enforcement contact could be when you are involved in a collision as a result of you or your pal's impairment.

If you want to get high, do it at home. Do not risk everyone else's lives
You are completely right. I haven't done it since that day, and I don't plan on doing it in the future. I just hope this won't destroy my future.
So do you think we will get off or do we just have to wait? If so then how long does that usually take for a court order or something to come in the mail?
And thank you for taking the time to help me and listening to my story.

CdwJava

If you have not been cited or notified of a court date by summons or warrant, then you may well be okay. If you are arrested for some reason, seek legal counsel ASAP.

You may be okay ... but, heed the warning you have received and straighten up. Next time, you might find a permanent stain to your record.

Ha, that's a story with a good ending!

When I was in high school (not too long ago!) a cop rolled up on a car full of smokers in the forest preserve parking lot. He made them dump their weed down the storm sewer and instructed one of the boys to throw his expensive bong against a large rock, shattering it. He then went on his way, I bet with a big smile attached to his face!

:D:D:D

The Occultist

He didn't read us our rights before any questioning
I'm just going to point out that needing be read rights is only required during questioning that occurs AFTER an arrest; you were not arrested, so you did not need to be read your rights.

The charges certainly could be mailed after-the-fact, and you would be wise to expect this to occur for the next year, even in spite of the following sentence. The following sentence: AZ doesn't tend to mail out such citations for drug offenses. It is typically handled via cite-and-release (you are arrested, possibly even handcuffed, but are not actually taken to jail, but you are issued your citation). I just wish to reiterate that just because that did not happen does not mean a citation is not on its way to you, but I'm guessing you'll never see a ticket. If you do see that ticket, post back with statute numbers. If you are over 18 as you indicated, then, depending on the actual charges, legal representation may not even be necessary to save your skin. So, if it comes up, post back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">