• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arraignment Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TDM0789

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was charged with being under the influence of a controlled substance (ecstasy) in Santa Barbara, CA. My arraignment date is set for Dec. 1 and my only question is whether or not they will read any details of the police report at this court date. I am thinking not because it's just an arraignment and they have all kinds of people that need to be charged so its not like they have time to read the details of everyone's case, right? I am concerned about this because I am not fully aware of what the police report says as I have no memory of being arrested, but my parents want to attend my court date and I am nervous about what the details may include. Any input is greatly appreciated.

FlyingRon

Generally the arraignment just is a reciting of the actual charge, followed by procedural issues (whether you're going to plead guilty, whether you want a jury trial, etc....) so they can set dates for further action. Of course, you're parents are going to find out about it anyhow. Most of this is public record.

SIN EATER

Check out DEJ (Deferred Entry of Judgment) and Proposition 36 - they are both drug diversion (and jail diversion) programs. (Have any prior drug convictions ?)

At the arraignment, no one will read aloud the police report, but the charge itself will be stated on the record (under the influence of drugs); you will be asked if you have an attorney.
If you don't have a private atty you will be advised that you can seek the services of the Public Defender's Office (if you qualify). If you ask for a PD, you'll be given a financial qualifying form to fill out. [If you are going to do DEJ, you shouldn't need an atty, but a PD is always good in case you later fail].
More than likely, your case will be continued.
If you qualify for DEJ, go for it. You will be placed on probation for 18 months and must do a drug program and random testing. If you stay completely clean and abide by all laws, the charges will be dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">