• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested in January in the state of NH for 1.5 g of Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NHVictim

I live in the state of NH and was arrested in Salem, NH, 1 mile away from Massachusetts where it's only a $100 fine. I had one and a half grams of not so good marijuana and was arrested with a friend on charges for illegal drug possession. In the newspaper it said illegal possession of narcotics so it made my friend and I both look like pill junkies in our small town.

Anyway so the charge is possession, Im in a district court that is known to give out class B misdemeanors, and I need to get that dropped to a violation. My arraignment was Mar 15th and before that, I hired a lawyer who knows my prosecutor and is familiar with my arresting officers.

My friend went into the arraignment w/o a lawyer and he plead guilty. My lawyer plead not guilty for me and he said since your friend said guilty it may make the situation a bit more problematic for me because whatever he gets, I will most likely get.

My question to you or anyone is, is there anyway to get out of this misdemeanor? I need to get a violation. I dont care if I lose my license for a year, I just cannot get a misdemeanor because I'll lose my scholarships, my loan money, would be forced to pay back my loan money when I dont have the money to pay, and Id have to drop out of college because my family won't foot the bills. End result, if I get a misdemeanor my life is over and I'll gladly take it but if I can get out, Id rather get out of it and live my life to the fullest.

And if anyone is mentioning the NH marijuana decriminalization bill. Well, it would be great but this is the 3rd year in a row and its going to fail because our jackass governor John Lynch is personally lynching, I mean vetoing, the bill as soon as it passes the Senate.

If there is anything I can do besides bend over, what can I do?

Thank you,
NHVictimWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

If there is anything I can do besides bend over, what can I do?

Thank you,
NHVictimWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I can think of two things.

First, do what your lawyer tells you.

Second, drop the attitude. Seriously, it will not play well in front of the judge.

You are not a victim. You broke the law and now you are facing the consequences.

GotSmart

But Your honor, it was bunk bud!

Not gonna fly.

The law is the law. Dont do the crime if you dont want the time.

NHVictim

Ok put aside my attitude, all I'm asking is to continue my education and I'll even stop smoking weed. My NHVictim handle was just a reference to the failed drug war and numerous attempts in NH to get the law down to a violation. I know people have their own qualms about marijuana and yes I did do the crime but it still doesn't justify all those punishments, especially permanent punishments. Did I mention I won't be able to visit my family in Canada any more because Canada doesn't allow people to enter with a misdemeanor?

I didn't kill anyone, all I did was smoke, and maybe knock off a few brain cells.

But that is all besides the point. My point is, is there a way out of this or should I just stick to my lawyer and shut up?

Ok put aside my attitude, all I'm asking is to continue my education and I'll even stop smoking weed. My NHVictim handle was just a reference to the failed drug war and numerous attempts in NH to get the law down to a violation. I know people have their own qualms about marijuana and yes I did do the crime but it still doesn't justify all those punishments, especially permanent punishments. Did I mention I won't be able to visit my family in Canada any more because Canada doesn't allow people to enter with a misdemeanor?
Please stop, you're gonna make me cry!

I didn't kill anyone, all I did was smoke, and maybe knock off a few brain cells.
In a state where such behavior is a misdemeanor. If it's so important to you then why not move to Mass. or some other state where it has been decriminalized?

But that is all besides the point. My point is, is there a way out of this or should I just stick to my lawyer and shut up?
I suspect that anything you say will only dig your hole deeper. Speak only when your lawyer instructs you to do so.

NHVictim

@ElvinMelvin, if you're going to be sarcastic and insulting to me when I have to go through this ordeal, I'd rather you just not say anything. I'm not looking to get into an internet flame war with you so stop trolling my thread.

@Everyone else, thank you for the advice. I wanted to come here to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion so thanks for that. I guess I'll stick with keeping silent and work to pay off this lawyer. Hopefully he can work his magic and I can stop my left eye from twitching haha.

Regards,
NHVictim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">