• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested! No Actual Drugs Just Tape!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maasseen

What is the name of your state? WI

So two days ago I was arrested by the lead drug detectives from La Crosse. Marion Byerson and Sgt. Joholski. They took me into my house and told me they had bought marijuana from me. I knew immediatly the only person I ever sold anything to was a person that lived across the hall from me that always enticed me to get them something. Apparently they were wearing a wire and the person stated: "here is the money from the eigth i got from you." All i said was thanks.

They asked me to help and to tell the truth so i did. They didnt find anything illegal in my house what so ever. I did have a loaded weapon by my bed for protection which I told them about right away for their protection.

They took me in and knew all kinds of things the infromant had told them. I have never done anything wrong before so I just tried to give them what they wanted.

Aside from a few taped convos, they dont have any hard proof. I want to fight this case myself because I make too much for a public defender and every good attorney wants 4000 upfront cash. This is a felony case for an eight of weed.

I dont really know what my next move should be but the court will not let me speak to the DA nor will they provide any evidence that they intend to use against me.

Please help!

HomeGuru

maasseen said:
What is the name of your state? WI

So two days ago I was arrested by the lead drug detectives from La Crosse. Marion Byerson and Sgt. Joholski. They took me into my house and told me they had bought marijuana from me. I knew immediatly the only person I ever sold anything to was a person that lived across the hall from me that always enticed me to get them something. Apparently they were wearing a wire and the person stated: "here is the money from the eigth i got from you." All i said was thanks.

They asked me to help and to tell the truth so i did. They didnt find anything illegal in my house what so ever. I did have a loaded weapon by my bed for protection which I told them about right away for their protection.

They took me in and knew all kinds of things the infromant had told them. I have never done anything wrong before so I just tried to give them what they wanted.

Aside from a few taped convos, they dont have any hard proof. I want to fight this case myself because I make too much for a public defender and every good attorney wants 4000 upfront cash. This is a felony case for an eight of weed.

I dont really know what my next move should be but the court will not let me speak to the DA nor will they provide any evidence that they intend to use against me.

Please help!
**A: I guess you in deep sh*t.

Son of Slam

Shoot! I was just thinking, "It was only an eighth of weed, maybe somebody should help." So, I pushed the reply button, then it hit me. You sold the weed. I'm sorry, but we don't help criminals.

I have never done anything wrong before so I just tried to give them what they wanted.
What you meant was you've never been caught before...

Aside from a few taped convos, they dont have any hard proof.
You have a lot to learn about evidence. The testimony of any person brought in to testify against you is "proof." If the guy says you were his supplier and he sold 10 pounds a week for five years - then that is admissible evidence. You would have to prove the guy is lying - if he was lying.

I want to fight this case myself because I make too much for a public defender and every good attorney wants 4000 upfront cash. This is a felony case for an eight of weed.

Trust me, you CANNOT possibly fight this yourself. I don't care if you have to sell everything you own you must find a good attorney. This will cost you a minimum of $10,000 to fight. You really should find a good attorney and attempt to get the best possible guilty plea. Honestly, I know that's not what you want to hear, but if you try to fight this thing I will accept your collect call from prison when you begin your 10+ year sentence to admit you should have listened. The main thing is you will need to make sure that you don't talk to ANYONE else without being in the presence of a good attorney retained to represent you. And anything that is told to you in terms of a plea agreement make sure it is in writing or else it is useless.

Your next move - your only move MUST be to find a good attorney - here is why I say this...

You know, I have MANY "friends" in federal prison for 10+, 20+ and even 30+ year sentences. Of them there are a significant number who were never found in possession of ANY drugs. You really should bone up on the federal conspiracy law, it sounds to me that this is the type of case they are building in your situation.

Often they will get many people to work undercover bringing in as many others as possible. Each person who is brought in is approached to assist in bringing in others. Those who don't cooperate can bare the full brunt of the ENTIRE weight and drug type of the conspiracy. Just because you were selling marijuana wouldn't mean a thing if other members of "the conspiracy" were selling meth or crack. The gun could be a major problem for you as it would at a minimum be a two level enhancement (roughly two years) and at worst could be a ten year addition to whatever time you received for the drugs. Even if the gun is "legal" in terms of ownership, it is NOT legal to own a gun to protect one during one's illegal activities. This is frowned on in a major way. And whatever time you get for the gun would be CONSECUTIVE to the drug time.

IF you were successful in beating this case at the state level there is a GOOD chance that the feds would pick it up. I've seen it many times. NOT double jeopardy. Trust me. Accept responsibility for whatever you have done wrong, find a GOOD attorney with verifiable references, read your local state drug laws - particularly those involving conspiracy, and read Title 18, Section 841 of the United States Code.

Here is a link to a really good article:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/snitch/primer/

Fight this thing and here are some other terms you will need to bone up on - they are common prison vernacular: ghost dope, bitch, snitch, check-in punk... :eek:

Last edited:

calatty

This is not a 10 year sentence case. Most likely you won't even get a jail sentence. However, it is a serious case, and you cannot and should not try to handle it yourself. The reason it is a felony is not the quantity but the sale. The DA usually doesn't bring a case based on a conversation only. They probably have the eighth too.

calatty said:
This is not a 10 year sentence case. Most likely you won't even get a jail sentence. However, it is a serious case, and you cannot and should not try to handle it yourself. The reason it is a felony is not the quantity but the sale. The DA usually doesn't bring a case based on a conversation only. They probably have the eighth too.
WHAT? You honestly don't believe that do you? So I suppose you have a nice cushy office in an Ivory Tower building don't you? I don't how you can say "this is not a 10 year sentence case" when there is an informant who could be saying who knows what and there is a gun involved.

What if it does go fed? You still don't think it is a 10 year sentence case? I hope he doesn't get an attorney like you or he'll be just like the thousands of men sitting in prison thinking, "Gee, my attorney never told me anything like this could happen!"

maasseen

Case dismissed

After a few days of discussion the DA has agreed to drop the case and to omit me from any further penelties. A few good phone calls and a good idea of what the court would want to see as evidence helped. Both of the informants were garbage and their testimony would of never been permissable as both were previous felons.

Thanks for everyones optimisim. I guess its time for me to start a career in law....

cmazeing

intresting

this is my first time posting to this board, weed? oh boy, i can see if it was crack or cocain or something its just damn weed, god put it here for me and you, **** they need to make weed illg. i smoke for the purpose of getting high and going to school. im a freshman in college makeing a steady 3.9 gpa im working on the 4.0 so i can get more ships. i dont abuse it altho i know its illg. i will continue to use it to benifit me, i have read some of the "so called studies" done about the effects of weed. i dis agree, they say it can affect memory, i can tell you everything i did last couple years of my life, i can recall most of the past events that happend. hint ... its a short-term memory modification. :D enjoy dont bash or ill bash your head in "not a threat, its a promise"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">