• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested in polk county

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdirt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida...I gave a friend(a known drug dealer(pot) as the cop would say to me) a ride to the store late one night and was stopped for rolling thru a stop sign, then they searched my car and found some pot in a baggie. they arrested me but never even checked his id and let him go. left my car 2 houses down from his then wanted me to let them know his connections and would "do what they could for me".I didnt ,well now i've been back and forth to court 5 or 6 times with a public pretender(2 different ones) and the state wants to give me 120 days and 2years no license.i really dont know what to do. cant afford a lawyer. the pd said we are ready to go to trial and i go next week to pick a jury.should i trust the pd? i had previous drug charges over 6 years ago and did my time. i was just doing the guy a favor because his license was suspended. we live in the "bad" side of town so cops are always stopping you for any reason they can

outonbail

First, what are the actual charges you are facing?

Second, where was the bag of marijuana found in the vehicle? Was it under the passengers seat, in the glove box, where exactly?

A couple of observations I will mention.

1. I notice that no where in your post, do you deny that the pot which was found, was in fact yours. Instead you provide a story hoping the reader will conclude that the pot was actually there because your passenger put it there without your knowledge.

2. The fact that your car was left two houses down from this known drug dealers house doesn't look like you were giving him a ride, but rather picking him up to purchase this weed.
3. When the police witness you rolling through a stop sign, you will be pulled over regardless of what part of town or what side of the tracks you come from.
4. If the officer searched your vehicle after stopping you for a moving violation, you either gave him permission, you are on parole/probation and they don't need your permission, or there was something illegal in plain sight or the officer could smell the marijuana.
5. You refer to your attorney as a public pretender. This will not help you receive the advice you are looking for. People do not go through law school and pass the state bar exam so they can pretend to know the law.
PD's are usually loaded down with more cases than any one person could possibly dedicate a great deal of time on. If you are unhappy with the efforts your attorney is putting forth in preparation for your defense, hire private council or represent yourself. But being disrespectful only shows a lack of maturity on your part.

Other facts, such as the time of day, how far you live from the drug dealer, how far it was to the store and if there are other people living at the dealer's house who drive and own a vehicle, are things I would consider to determine whether the story that you were helping this drug dealer out by giving him a ride to the store, is believable or not.

If you are charged with simple possession, then it doesn't really matter if the pot was his or yours, only that you had possession of it at some point and that you knew it was there.
From what you've posted, if you knew this person well enough to go out of your way to give him a ride to the store, then you new him well enough to know he would have marijuana with him when you picked him up.

So from here, it doesn't look good for the defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">