• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested, then bailed out, and then arrested again, igotquestions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LambsBread1

I live in California, and just about 20 days ago my good friend that lives with me got popped.

he was charged with three felonies but it was his first time ever getting charged with anything, first time ever in trouble.

possesion of control substance - morphine pills
possesion of firearm - it didn't have a clip, but it did have his finger prints on it
sales distribution marijuana

he got caught with the handgun, an ounce of weed, morphine pills, a scale, and like 500 dollars in cash.

right after he bailed himself out of jail and like maybe 5 days before his court date he got arrested again with another ounce of weed and scale.

two more felonies this time,

possesion of marijuana
sales distribution marijuana

so now he is locked up and has no money for a lawyer he just wants a public defender.
i say he is screwed

how much time do you think he is getting?

i say he is realllly ****edWhat is the name of your state?

garrula lingua

How many morphine pills ??

He'll get charged with sales, and there's an enhancement for having a gun with drugs.
There's also an additional enhancement for committing a felony while out on bail.

He's screwed himself.

They'll probably merge both cases. He'll remain in custody while the cases are pending.
The gun with drugs really adds time to the charges.

He can be charged with sentences ranging to eighteen years; unfortunately, he'll probably do about 12-16 months actual time (he might get county time if it's his first offense).

LambsBread1

he had about 7 morphine pills

and yea i think hes going to county hopefully, **** prison!

someone told me, if you get arrested and charged with a felony while out on bail, you automatically get 2 year sentence is this true?

outonbail

he had about 7 morphine pills

and yea i think hes going to county hopefully, **** prison!

someone told me, if you get arrested and charged with a felony while out on bail, you automatically get 2 year sentence is this true?
Nothing is automatic. But he'll certainly be doing some time. Having the gun is what will really screw him since it disqualifies his eligibility for PC 100 and prop 36.

Here in Riverside there is a program called the ROC program that he could probably get into if he had a good attorney. I don't know if this program is exclusive to Riverside or if other courts offer it. But it is a very intense program where he will be going to class for eight hours a day for six months and AA meetings every night after class. After six months he has to attend the class for four hours a day and he's allowed to go to school or a job in the afternoon. He would also be tested for drug and or alcohol use regularly and appear in court every month to give a progress report. It isn't easy, but it keeps those who are willing to do everything required, out of prison.
He can ask his public defender about it if he thinks he can hang with it.
His only other escape from doing time will be to work with the police and roll over on the big guys. This is often a dangerous decision to make.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">